Shoe Shopping Tips For Older Kids
- Let them move: Once your child is wearing both shoes, let them do a strut around the shop. Watch how they walk and see if the shoe provides support, or looks uncomfortable. Then ask your child how they feel be specific ask if they feel tight or too loose.
- Thumbs up: While your child is wearing the shoes, try to fit your thumb between the heel and the back of the shoe you want it snug but not tight, so you avoid blisters. Then use your thumb to press at the front feel for the big toe and how far forward it sits. There should be a thumbs width between the toe and the end of the shoe.
- Dont think too big: If youre on a budget, It can be tempting to buy a shoe thats a few sizes too big. This isnt ideal at this age, your child is active and needs a supportive shoe that wont come off unexpectedly.
Some Helpful Information And Tips
Children grow up so fast. And just like the right clothing, well-fitting shoes are vital for their healthy development.
RULE OF THUMBMeasure the distance between the longest toe and the end of the heel. In order to most accurately attain the correct shoe size, the child should only wear a light sock during the measurement process.
Tip: Draw a straight line on a piece of paper and place the child’s foot on it. Mark both the heel end and toe end with a pen stroke and then measure the distance between these two markers.
Before buying shoes for your little ones, it’s therefore essential to know how to measure childrens feet correctly. Read on, and you’ll learn what you should look for and how often to do it.
And remember, Zalando Lounge has a large selection of high-quality shoes and clothing for kids at bargain prices!
To our sales
How To Measure Your Childs Feet
To measure your childs feet:
You can print our free childrens foot size measurement chart to help you this makes measuring kids feet even easier!
YOU MUST print the chart at 100% .
Recommended Reading: How To Mail A Shoebox
How To Choose The Right Size Shoes For Your Toddler
First things first, youve got to get their feet measured and, if possible, by a trained professional. Well-fitted shoes will help support their little feet and let them develop naturally.
Shoes are going to feel totally different to a child. Properly fitted shoes allow for unhindered development and give the right amount of space and support to help the foot develop naturally, says Sara. Fit is so important and should never be compromised on a toddlers nerve endings may not be fully developed yet so they may not notice or feel pain or discomfort caused by ill-fitting shoes, and may not be able to complain even if they do.
Most top-quality shoe retailers will offer whole and half sizes and a choice of width fittings to ensure you get the best fit for your toddler.
If you cant get in-store to see a trained professional, you can purchase a plastic foot gauge from Start-Rite or download their paper gauge and follow the online instructions. There are a number of ways you can check the fit once the shoes have arrived. When your toddler walks, make sure the heel is not slipping up and down as this may cause rubbing and blisters. You can also use your thumb to check the big toe isnt hitting the tip of the shoe.
How Baby Shoe Sizing Works
Baby shoe sizes are often grouped by age. For example, you might see shoes for ages “0-6 months” or “6-9 months.” While this can be helpful, they are meant to be a starting point in your sizing journey. No two baby’s feet are the same , and there is no universal standard for age-based sizing.
Use age guidelines to pick a size to start with, but the safest choice is to measure your child’s foot so that you know exactly what size baby shoes they need.
Recommended Reading: D Vs 4e
Shoe Shopping Tips For Babies
Before your baby begins to walk, you dont need shoes. During this time, baby shoes such as booties, soft-soled, and socks are best. Once your little one starts to take their first steps, its time fora supportive shoe.
- Go for breathable and lightweight: For a new walker, comfort is crucial. Look for something made of cloth or soft faux leather.
- Soft soles: When looking at the shoes, try to bend the soles. If they flex easily, they will provide good support for your new walker. If not, leave them on the shelf.
- Shop in the afternoon: Baby feet tend to swell later in the day. So to ensure the shoe fits perfectly, do your shopping in the afternoon.
- Verify the fit: Try to place your pinky finger in between your babys heel and the back of the shoe while they stand. If it feels tight, the shoe is probably too small.
How To Measure Baby’s Feet
To start, have your child stand with their weight distributed evenly on both feet.
To check length, make sure you can press your thumb between the longest toe and the end of the shoe. Children need about ½ of space for the toes to move freely. Next, check that your pinkie can fit snugly between the heel and back of the shoe. To check width, make sure you can grasp some material at the widest part of the foot.
Ideally, you should use our baby shoe size chart to test shoes later in the day, since childrens feet swell over the course of the day.
Read Also: How Much To Ship Shoes Usps
How To Choose Shoes For Walkers
Once your child is walking, consider price, comfort, and style when choosing shoes. Some things to look for include:
- Non-skid or skid-resistant soles
- Correct fitsnug at the heels room at the toes
- Shoes with higher ankles to prevent your little one from taking them off
Save that pair of classic hard-soled baby shoes just for bronzing. Your toddler will likely do better in more flexible, soft-soled shoes even at this age. In addition, many brands of shoes for kids are made of very soft leather, which has the benefit of being comfortable and washable.
Flexible soles and good fit are essential. Unless your baby’s doctor recommends them, skip the added expense of arch supports, special inserts, reinforced heels, or any other added feature.
How To Size Toddler Shoes
Toddlers are highly energetic and always on the move, making shoes a necessary part of their wardrobes. They are also constantly growing, which means that parents always need to be ready to acquire new shoes for them. Infant and toddler shoe sizes are not, however, on the same scale as adult shoes, and it is important that you know how to properly size your toddler’s feet. With the right shoes, your toddler will be able to keep going at full speed.
Video of the Day
You May Like: Hey Dude Shoe Inserts
What Does The American Podiatric Medical Association Recommend
The APMA has a quick three question test to help you determine if your childs shoe/baby walking shoes makes the grade:
- Does the shoe have a stiff heel? The shoe shouldnt collapse when you press on both sides of the heel counter.
- Is the toe flexible? The shoe shouldnt be too stiff in the toe area, but it shouldnt fold up too much when pressed either.
- Does the shoe have a rigid middle? The shoe shouldnt twist in the middle.
Buying Shoes For My Teenagers Tips Needed
- A youth size 5.5 is equivalent to an adult womens size 7 and an adult mens size 6. For older children and teenagers please use our Mens & Womens Shoe Sizing U.S & European Shoe Sizing Guide
- Your child will usually start wearing youth shoe sizes around age 6.
- After the age of 6, it becomes especially important that children wear supportive athletic shoes during play, particularly if they participate in after-school sports.
- While childrens feet are more resilient and thus less prone to injury, the most common cause of chronic childrens foot pain is Severs disease, an inflammation of a childs developing heel growth plate. The most common cause of childrens heel pain is participation in activities that involve a lot of running and jumping, such as soccer and basketball, without having shoes that provide enough arch support. Childrens arch support inserts are available to decrease your childs risk of developing a painful foot injury.
Also Check: Do I Need New Running Shoes
How Do Shoe Sizes For Kids Work
Understanding Kids Shoe Sizes: Shoe sizes for kids differ greatly from adult shoe sizes. First of all, there is no differentiation in gender, meaning that boys and girls use the same size . But kids shoe sizes are divided into different age groups: Small or Little Kid Shoe Sizes vs. Big Kids/Youth Shoe Sizes. Small kids are newborn, infant and toddlers. Big kids shoe sizes are from size 10C up to size 6Y.
|Kids US Shoe Size|
|Big Kid, Youth, Grade School||Youth 6, Big Kid 6|
How Often To Measure Kids Feet
Did you know that children’s feet can grow half a size every 2 to 4 months? While this average varies depending on age, you should measure your kid’s feet every two months to ensure their shoes are fitting well.
Read our FAQ to learn all about how kids’ feet grow and the kind of shoes you need to support their healthy development.
Don’t Miss: How To Clean White Hey Dude Shoes
Baby Shoes: Finding The Perfect Fit
Every child’s feet grow differently and at different times. In fact, your child’s feet could be smaller or larger than the recommended size for her or his age. That’s why it’s best to get your childs feet measured every few months.
To measure your childs feet at home, download our FOOT MEASURING TOOLor use a ruler or tape measure and measure both the lengths and widths of your child’s feet. Make sure that each foot is fully extended and double check that your childs toes arent curled. For the length, measure from the heel to the longest toe. For the width, be sure to measure the widest part of the foot. Dont worry if you end up with slightly different measurements: children often have size variations between their feet. Using the longest and widest foot, choose a size from the charts below.
Please note, our size recommendation will be slightly larger than your child’s foot to provide room for healthy foot growth and for longer usage. If you find yourself debating between two sizes, always opt for the larger of the two, and if your childs feet are particularly chubby consider sizing up based on their measurements.
Please Note: Certain older styles have different sizing. It is best to use the sizing chart on the actual product page to determine the best size for your child.
What Is The Difference Between Size 13 And 1
There is not much difference between size 13 kids shoes and 1 adult. In terms of sizing there is only approx. 1/2 inch difference between 13C and 1Y. In the US, the kids shoe size system switches to the youth respectively mens shoe size system after size 13 kids shoes. Then it restarts counting at 1.
Don’t Miss: Www Dhgate Com Reviews
How To Measure My Kids Feet And Choose The Right Shoe Size
Ever bought a pair of boys sandals or girls shoes online? We used to tiptoe over online shopping, but today, theres quite an array of dependable e-commerce sites worthy of a shopping splurge. Nevertheless, some of us still hesitate to buy certain items online simply because we dont know how to choose the right size, for example, of girls sandals.
If you wonder how to get your girl or boys shoe size right, its actually way easier than you think. First, you have to measure your toddlers feet correctly. Then, consult a kids shoe size chart for your preferred sizing standard UK or European. Lastly, choose a size thats just a tiny bit bigger. Never buy smaller or too big.
Now, lets get on to measuring your childs feet.To measure your toddlers feet accurately, you will have him stand with his back against a wall with a piece of paper under his feet. To measure you babys feet, we have something simpler.
Also, measure both feet, but one at a time. One foot is usually slightly bigger than the other so whether using it for girls sandals or boys sneakers, use the measurement of the bigger foot.
Kids Shoe Fitting Hacks That’ll Change Your Life
Here is an overview of the shoe fitting hacks for kids:
- Wait until the end of the day
- Create your own shoelace size guide to take shopping with you
- No break-in period. Kids shoes need to feel comfortable from day one!
- The thumb measurement – your secret weapon when fitting kids shoes
- It takes two! Always fit to the larger foot
- Watch them move – get your child to waddle and walk in the shoes before buying
- Re-fit old shoes: regular checking of old shoes to ensure they still fit!
Read in the details below and become a fitting superstar.
Don’t Miss: Where Can I Customize My Shoes
Shoe Shopping Tips For Toddlers
- Bring socks: Unless youre shopping for sandals, your tot will likely have to wear socks with shoes. Use the appropriate socks thick for winter boots and light for summer sneakers. Then the shoe will fit right even when theres extra padding.
- Forget trends: Dont give in to the latest trends of clogs, pointy boots, or high heels. These arent likely to provide any beneficial support to a toddler whos still mastering their walk. Instead, go for something supportive.
- Provide options: Some toddlers want to decide what they wear. If so, find a few different, but appropriate, shoes and ask your little one to choose which they like best.
- Opt for Velcro: A hook and loop closure such as Velcro is much easier for a toddler to put on without assistance. This way, your child learns how to put on shoes, and you save time otherwise wasted tying shoelaces.
Why Is It So Important To Know How To Measure Childrens Feet Accurately
Shoes which are too small or the wrong shape can be harmful to children. At a young age, the feet are soft and sensitive. This is because bones, ligaments and muscles don’t fully develop until around the age of 16. Bad footwear can thus cause deformities which last into adulthood, triggering problems like fallen arches, which in turn can lead to poor posture and chronic pain. Making sure you how to measure kids feet correctly is therefore a long-term investment in the health of your child.
Recommended Reading: How Long Do Hoka Running Shoes Last
Popular Brands For Crawlers And Pre
- Nina Kids
Of course, you could also dress up your baby in a cute pair of socks until they are walking! While they are cruising and crawling, babies need soft socks with non-skid soles more than shoes.
If your infant wears decorative shoes, take them off whenever your baby begins to cruise or walk. Bare feet will help with their balance.
What Are The Best Shoes For Children
Did you know that over 65% of kids are wearing shoes that are too small for their feet? The concern here is that by wearing poorly fitting shoes, kids can develop foot deformities like hallux valgus. If this type of condition sounds like something that would be a rare occurrence, think again. According to the National Health Institute, 30 percent of kids have foot deformities that are irreversible.
The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends shoes that are neither too big nor too small. Likewise, stiff or airtight shoes are very bad for childrens foot development.
Childrens shoes should be made of soft material and allow the feet to breathe.
Shoes should allow the foot to breathe: Only a footbed made of leather and natural materials is suitable for childrens shoes, because it allows for air circulation and can prevent sweating.
Synthetic fabrics, on the other hand, make childrens feet sweat, which stands in the way of their foot health. Healthy foot development needs, not only, freedom of movement, but also, adequate air circulation.
If shopping for kids shoes, also watch out for brands that offer a wider toe box and shoe tabs of various length to provide a better fit for varying instep or girth size.
You May Like: Dhgate Reviews With Pictures
How To Get Help Measuring
To get the most accurate measurement of your kids’ feet, your best option is to visit a Stride Rite location near you. Our Stride Rite Fit Experts have been trained to measure children’s feet accurately, even if they squirm or lose focus.Our employees use a special measuring instrument called the Brannock Device, which guarantees the correct length and width.Babies and toddlers can’t tell you if their shoes are uncomfortable. With the help of a Stride Rite employee, you can ensure their footwear is perfectly sized.