How Do Essential Oils Help Foot Odor
Essential oils are potent liquid plant extracts. Although theyre called essential oils, they dont have an oily consistency or texture. Most of them actually have an astringent feel, that is, instead of making your skin oily, they make it dry and tight. You can rub a drop of tea tree essential oil between your thumb and index finger and see what I mean!
Now what makes essential oils good for getting rid of foot odor is their powerful therapeutic properties. They have anti-fungal, antibacterial and antimicrobial properties that fight germs, bacteria, fungi and microbes that cause athletes foot and nail funguses that bring nasty foot odor. Secondly, essential oils have pleasant scents that naturally mask bad odor and leave a nice fresh scent instead.
Lets look at how to use essential oils for foot odor below:
If All Else Fails: Spring For New Shoes
All the above remedies for smelly shoes have been tested, tried and proven. But if your favorite shoes just dont respond well to one or more of these methods, it may be time to hang em up for good and buy a new pair. New shoes smell great for a few days. But then, the creeping bad shoe smell will return. So, keep experimenting with these cures for stinky shoes. The inevitable occasion will arrive when your shoes must come off in public. And this time? Youll be ready.
Deodorize Shoes With Cat Litter Or Wood Chips
If your shoes are attracting attention because of shoe odor, heres a hack you may want to try. Youll need some cedar wood chips or kitty litter. Youll also need some clean old socks or paper towels.
This cure is easy: Fill up a pair of old, but clean, socks with either cedar wood chips or cat litter. Place one of the socks in each shoe, and let them stand overnight. The wood chips or kitty litter will absorb the foot odor hiding in the shoes. Citrus peels can also do a passable job of refreshing your shoes.
Recommended Reading: Shimano Rc1 Peloton
Sweat X Sport Extreme Odor Eliminator Spray
Tester Smell Score: 4 out of 5
- Eco-friendly formula
- Smell was hit or miss among testers
While our testers were split on whether they actually liked the smell of Sweat X, they agreed that it did a stellar job of eliminating the scent of the Limburger. That said, the smell wasnt nearly as overwhelming as some of the other sprays. Plus, Sweat X also helps remove blood, dirt, and grass stains.
Odor Removal: How To Remove Odor From Shoes
Among the solutions for removing odor and mold from shoes is the use of old newspapers and magazines for daily maintenance. The foot moisture trapped in the shoes will be released if a crumpled sheet is put inside for a night, or even for the whole time in which you dont wear them, place it inside and leave until the shoes are bone-dry.
Learn to remove bad odors and mold from shoes without resorting to chemical solutions and products!
Odor removal: another remedy to remove the odor is to put orange peel and keep it overnight , which help eliminate the smell and even gives a new perfume to the shoes.
Odor removal: the best known solution to remove odor and mold from shoes is the use of bicarbonate .
- Sprinkle the inside of the shoe with a good amount of baking soda and leave overnight, in the morning remove it with a brush.
- The baking soda absorbs odor and also eliminated bacteria molds that form inside the shoe.
Recommended articles regarding baking soda:
You May Like: How To Clean Mold Off Shoes
Put A Little Bag Of Ground Coffee
Now if you dont really drink tea and prefer a coffee, you can pick a small amount of coffee ground from your kitchen and put it in a small cotton bag.
If you dont get any cotton bag you can use your coffee filter or a baking cup, but make sure you place it carefully since it isnt covered and might spill inside your shoes.
Tips For Keeping Shoes Dry
- Toss them in the dryer, put them near a heater, or put them in a sunny window. Canvas shoes should be fine taking a spin in the dryer, but other shoes will get ruined, so just be careful!
- Go barefoot at home as much as possible. My 10 year literally wears his tennis shoes from the time he leaves for the bus until he gets into bed at night and his shoes suffer because of it! Im trying to teach him that the less he wears his shoes, the faster they will dry out and the less they will smell. Were still working on it.
- Toss them in the freezer. Place your shoes in a plastic bag, then put them in the freezer. The freezer helps kill the bacteria and dry out your soles.
Also Check: Where Can I Sell My Shoes
Add The Detergent In Washing Machine
The next thing you need to do is to put the detergent in the washing machine. Its best to use liquid detergent because powdered detergents can get stuck to the shoes if they do not dissolve. You should not add bleach or fabric softener, both of which can damage shoes.
Select cold water and a slow or gentle cycle. Skip the spin cycle if possible. The spin cycle will toss around the shoes, possibly damaging them.
Stop Sweaty Feet To Stop Stinky Shoes
If youre often plagued by sweaty feet, youll want to focus on stopping some of that sweat. An antiperspirant lotion like SweatBlock is perfect for reducing excessive sweat on the feet. Your feet contain more sweat glands than any other part of your body. Bacteria love sweaty feet and and stink loves bacteria.
If you can reduce some of that foot sweating, you can reduce a lot of the stink that comes along with it.
Also Check: How To Clean Hey Dudes Insoles
How To Get The Smell Out Of Shoes
Smelly shoes are not only annoying, they can be embarrassing too! But dont throw out those stinky shoes just yet! Well show you 6 of the best methods on how to get the smell out of shoes.
The helpful tips are one of my favorite tips for keeping my house clean and odor free. Some of my other favorite cleaning hacks are these tips for Cleaning Your Vents, keeping your Washing Machine Clean and getting that baked on food off of your Oven Glass.
Practice Good Foot Care
Taking good care of your feet also takes care of the rough, cracked spots where odor-causing bacteria thrive. So, keep your toenails trimmed and any calluses filed. If cracking or rough feet are ongoing problems, get in the habit of applying a thick layer of foot lotion or petroleum jelly to your feet before bed, then sleep in a pair of socks to lock in the moisture.
Read Also: How To Clean Hey Dude Shoes
Place The Sachets In Your Shoes
You can place these sachets in your shoes each time you take them off. Tennis shoes, sneakers, and walking shoes used for exercising are especially prone to collecting odors. Keep the sachet in the shoes until you wear them again.
Variation: Fill the toe of a sock with baking soda and tie it off. Leave sock sachets in your shoes overnight to absorb odors. This can be part of your ongoing routine for any athletic shoes you wear regularly.
How To Get Rid Of Shoe Odor With Tea Bags
Odor is produced when your feet cannot breathe, and as some people produce more sweat than others, there is an increased chance of developing odor in those shoes. If you are an athlete or work out regularly, your shoes require regular maintenance. Teabags are also used to get rid of bad odor as they contain tannins which are very good in cleaning the shoes and killing the bacteria and fungal inhabitants inside.
Following are the steps are taken to remove odor while using tea bags from your favorite shoe.
Also Check: Is Dhgate Legit For Shoes
Baking Soda + Coffee Filter
Baking soda is a powerhouse at home and can be used to deodorize your shoes. All you need to do is a fill an unused coffee filter with baking soda and secure at the end with tape, staples, or a rubber band. Place the package in each shoe at the end of the day and the baking soda will go to work overnight.
How To Treat And Prevent Smelly Feet
The good news is that smelly feet are usually easy to treat by keeping your feet clean and dry, and changing your shoes regularly.
To treat sweaty or smelly feet yourself, try to:
- wash your feet with an antibacterial soap once a day
- dry your feet well after they have been wet, especially between your toes
- try not to wear the same pair of shoes 2 days in a row so they have at least 24 hours to dry out
- change your socks at least once a day
- keep your toenails short and clean, and remove any hard skin with a foot file
If you often get sweaty feet, you might want to try:
- using a spray deodorant or antiperspirant on your feet a normal underarm deodorant or antiperspirant works just as well as a specialist foot product and will cost you less
- putting medicated insoles, which have a deodorising effect, in your shoes
- using a foot powder to absorb sweat
- trying socks for sweaty feet some sports socks are designed to keep feet dry, and you can get special antibacterial socks
- wearing leather or canvas shoes, as they let your feet breathe, unlike plastic ones
- always wearing socks with closed-toe shoes
Recommended Reading: What Running Shoes Are Made In America
Lumi Outdoors Natural Shoe Deodorizer Spray
Tester Smell Score: 3.5 out of 5
- Treats and prevents Athletes Foot
- Also helps eliminate sweat and moisture
- Left a chemical-like scent
The classic de-stinking brand makes an excellent powder for repelling nasty foot odors and keeping your toes dry on hot, swampy runs. Not to mention it helps prevent and treat most types of athletes foot when applied to your skin directly. It smells like hand sanitizer and chemicals, but it really did its job, said one tester. Theres no lingering cheese smell at all. We also liked the brands Stink StoppersKids and Teens version for its milder aroma much like a dryer sheet or fresh laundrybut it doesnt promise to kill fungal bacteria.
Arm & Hammer Odor Busterz
Tester Smell Score: 4 out of 5
Searching for a foot cream worthy of Oprahs feet? Check out Footnanny, the brand that earned a spot on her 2020 List of Favorite Things. Made from tea tree oil , this cream helps absorb moisture and keep sweaty at bay, while also providing natural anti-fungal and bacteria-fighting properties. And, theres no additional harsh chemical additives. Simple ingredients like shea butter, cocoa seed, and aloe leaf provide vitamins A, C, E, and F chamomile helps soothe redness and irritation and essential oils deliver a refreshing scent. If Oprah runs another marathon, we expect shell be treating her feet to this cream at the finish line.
You May Like: How To Clean My White Hey Dudes
Tip: How To Wash Tennis Shoes And Sneakers To Get Rid Of Foot Odor
Todays tennis shoes and sneakers often cost north of $100. To keep them looking and smelling like new, you can use your washing machine. To protect your investment, there are a few steps to follow. This method works well for fabric and leather athletic shoes.
- 1. Remove the laces and any removable insoles or inserts.
- 2. Wipe away any loose dirt and debris.
- 3. Place shoes, minus laces and inserts, in a mesh bag or pillowcase. Secure the opening so the shoes cant come out.
- 4. If you have a washing machine with an agitator, include some towels along with the shoes to balance the load. If you have a newer machine without an agitator, you probably dont need the towels.
- 5. Wash in warm water with a heavy-duty detergent.
- 6. Air dry your newly cleaned shoes. NEVER put them in the dryer.
- 7. Use a solution of water and baking soda to hand clean the insoles/inserts.
Rocket Pure Natural Deodorizer Spray
Tester Smell Score: 4.5 out of 5
- Made in USA from all-natural ingredients
- Kept odors away after 24 hours
- Expensive for the amount you get
If youre put off by harsh chemicals, this formula from Rocket Pure draws on half-a-dozen natural agents like alcohol derived from organic cane sugar, citrus extracts, and cedarwood oil to inhibit bacterial growth . Plus, all three scents are downright awesome. Im smelling something mild, yet clean and fresh, one tester said of the peppermint and eucalyptus scent. Its hard to place, but I can hardly smell the cheese behind it.
You May Like: How To Get Mud Stains Out Of White Shoes
Dont Wear The Same Shoes Two Days In A Row
We all have a favorite pair of perfectly broken-in flats that we want to rock every day, but wearing the same pair of shoes two days in a row is a recipe for stink. Why? Back-to-back days does not give your shoes enough time to completely dry out from the previous days wear. So be sure to rotate your collection so as not to repeat day after day.
How To Remove Shoe Odors With Straight Baking Soda
With this method, the baking soda comes in contact with every part of the shoe, and the bacteria that cause the odor have nowhere to hide. This method works well with cloth shoes, but be cautious with leather and suede shoes, as a buildup of baking soda can cause these materials to become brittle. With suede and leather shoes, you are better off using baking soda sachets.
Don’t Miss: What Running Shoes Are Made In America
Natural Foot Spray For Foot Odor
This amazing recipe is all-natural foot spray which capable of killing the bacteria and de-stink the shoes effectively. Why? The grapefruit seed extract, rosemary essential oil and tea tree oil contains antibacterial, antifungal and anti-parasitic agents. The lavender oil and geranium oil soothes the skin. Apart from making you feet smell better, this recipe also heals them.
- To a small bottle, add 1 ounce witch hazel, 20 drops each of tea tree oil and lavender oil, 35 drops of grapefruit seed extract, 15 drops of geranium oil, 10 drops of peppermint oil, 5 drops of rosemary oil and 1/2 ounce of rubbing alcohol.
- Close the lid of the bottle and shake well to incorporate all the ingredients.
- Spray the mixture as many times as you want on your feet. Especially after a shower and before putting on your shoes.
- The mixture is quickly absorbed by the skin and leaves an amazing herbal scent.
- Note: Make sure to shake the mixture well before each use.
Home Remedies For Stinky Shoes:
- 1. Wash + exfoliate feet
- 2. Stop sweaty feet to stop stinky shoes
- 3. Foot and shoe deodorant spray
- 4. Wear shoes that breathe
- 5. Alternate your shoes give them time to air out
- 6. Use shoe insoles to fight foot odor
- 7. Sprinkle baking sode in those stinky shoes
- 8. Keep shoes fresh smelling with dryer sheets
- 9. Deodorize shoes with cat litter or wood chips ¯\__/¯
- 10. Clean shoes with rubbing alcohol
- 11. Steam clean shoes
- 12. Denture tablet shoe soak
- 13. Freeze the stink out of your shoes
- 14. Spray essential oils into your shoes
- 15. Use tea bags to keep shoes smelling fresh
- 16.If all else fails: Spring for new shoes
Where do stinky shoes come from anyway? The answer is well obvious. First comes foot sweat, then comes bacteria, then comes stinky feet, socks and shoes.
You May Like: How To Get Yellow Stains Out Of White Shoes
Tea Tree Essential Oil
Tea tree essential oil is the most effective formula. You can find it in natural stores and herbalists. It is inexpensive and can remove bad odor from shoes and make practical hand sanitizing gels.
How do we do it?
- Apply 3 to 5 drops to the insoles of the shoes twice a week.
- In this way, we will remove the odor and eliminate the bacteria.
How To Get Rid Of The Stink In Footwear
Step 1. Disinfect
Step 2. Deodorize
You will have to disinfect them to get rid of the bacteria in the shoes. After that you can deodorize them.
If you dont first disinfect your shoes the smell is likely to be back in no time. * Some substances may have both qualities allowing you to disinfect and deodorize at once.
Don’t Miss: Is Dhgate Legit For Shoes
Foot Sense Natural Shoe Deodorizer Powder
Tester Smell Score: 3.5 out of 5
- Eliminates excess moisture
- Doesnt kill 100% of bacteria
We know, traditional powders can be messy. But Foot Sense uses an arrowroot-based, talc-free formula thats safe, effective, and smells greatso we didnt mind if some spilled outside of our shoes. Its not as powerful as some of the potent sprays weve tested, so youll likely need to reapply more frequently, but we loved this powders supreme ability to eliminate excess moisture alongside a lemony-lavender aroma.
Alternate Your Shoes Give Them Time To Air Out
The smell of your shoes can be greatly reduced by not wearing the same pair on consecutive days. Of course, this means youll need more than one pair of shoes. Assuming that you have at least two pairs, alternate the days you wear them. Give em a well-deserved rest. On their days off, pull out the tongue, loosen the laces and put them in a ventilated spot where they can air out.
Read Also: Why Are Brooks Shoes So Good