How To Size Toddler Shoes
Toddlers are highly energetic and always on the move, making shoes a necessary part of their wardrobes. They are also constantly growing, which means that parents always need to be ready to acquire new shoes for them. Infant and toddler shoe sizes are not, however, on the same scale as adult shoes, and it is important that you know how to properly size your toddler’s feet. With the right shoes, your toddler will be able to keep going at full speed.
Video of the Day
Shoe Shopping Tips For Babies
Before your baby begins to walk, you dont need shoes. During this time, baby shoes such as booties, soft-soled, and socks are best. Once your little one starts to take their first steps, its time fora supportive shoe.
- Go for breathable and lightweight: For a new walker, comfort is crucial. Look for something made of cloth or soft faux leather.
- Soft soles: When looking at the shoes, try to bend the soles. If they flex easily, they will provide good support for your new walker. If not, leave them on the shelf.
- Shop in the afternoon: Baby feet tend to swell later in the day. So to ensure the shoe fits perfectly, do your shopping in the afternoon.
- Verify the fit: Try to place your pinky finger in between your babys heel and the back of the shoe while they stand. If it feels tight, the shoe is probably too small.
Why Does It Seem Like Baby Shoes Are Always Too Big
When we had our first daughter, we were always surprised with how large the baby shoes we bought were. It seemed like they were always at least one size larger than advertised! After starting BirdRock Baby, and learning the ins-and-outs of the shoe business, we learned why: this is a sneaky industry trick to prevent returns.
Many companies don’t trust their customers to choose the correct size shoe, so they make all of their shoes artificially large. They figure “our sizing might not be accurate, but the child will grow into them so the parents won’t return them!”
At BirdRock Baby, we pride ourselves in running our business with honesty and transparency. It’s no fun getting a pair of shoes that isn’t the size you expected, and that’s why our shoes are true-to-size, with accurate size charts on all of our product pages.
Any questions? We’re here to help!
We hope you’ve found our guide on sizing baby shoes helpful, and that when the time comes you’ll pick out a pair of our moccasins or booties. If you still have any questions on how to find the right size for your little one, our friendly San Diego based support team is here to help: .
Join the #birdrockbaby family on Instagram and Facebook!
Read Also: Best Ballet Flats For Plantar Fasciitis
How To Measure Kids Shoe Size
Theres a huge difference when it comes to measuring the shoe size of kids as opposed to doing so for adults. Well, thats because kids are still growing and they outgrow their shows faster than a blink of an eye. Thats why they say to not buy expensive shoes for your kid for they wont be able to use them for long. Thats why it is important to know how to measure kids shoe size properly to at least lessen the chances of them outgrowing it as fast as they could and they can make use of the shoes a little bit longer.
Here are our tips!
What Do You Need To Take Into Account When Choosing Your Toddlers Shoe
- Before a child starts walking, shoes are unnecessary.
- During the winter months your child can wear soft booties to stay warm, but all foot coverings should be as non-restricting as possible.
- After your toddler has begun to walk , you can introduce him or her to a sneaker with a flexible outsole with good traction.
- At toddler age shoes should be worn outdoors only. Inside the house barefoot is still best for toddlers.
- Check your childs feet for blisters and other signs often which means their shoes no longer fit.
- Toddlers feet tend to grow a shoe size larger every three months or so.
- Feel free to buy shoes slightly larger than what your child needs. 1/2 an inch clearance at the toe provides some growing room.
Also Check: How To Sell Shoes On Stockx Without Box
Still Unsure About Sizing Your Kids Feet
If you are still concerned about measuring your kids feet at home remember to always ask a professional for their expert opinion. These people are found in kids shoe stores and are there to guide you through the measurement process.
If you are curious about how other people found the measurement process of at-home vs. in-store, the accuracy, and whether other parents have any tips or tricks, the AskHer parenting channel is a platform you can ask women across the globe for their honest opinions in parenting. Whether you want to know the benefits of measuring your kids feet at home, or whether your baby should wear socks, women will answer you and give you the advice you are looking for.
Tips For Buying Baby Shoes
- Add 0.5 0.7 inches for the shoes to give your childs feet enough wiggle room and not restrict the proper growth of their feet. A poor fit could lead to more serious problems later on.
- After measuring both feet, when it is time to shop for the shoes, make sure to use the longer foot measurement as the basis for the size. Better have an allowance rather than buy a pair that only fits one foot.
- As babies feet grow rapidly, make sure to measure their size often. It is recommended that foot measurement is taken every 2-3 months in the first 24 mos of age to ensure correct shoe size.
- If buying shoes that you plan your child to wear with socks measure their foot size while wearing them to anticipate the additional length and width needed for proper fit.
- Before buying shoes online, identify the sizing standard used whether it is in US, UK, or European size to make sure that the size conversion is correct.
- US shoe size is different from European shoe sizes. Euro size is also different from UK shoe sizing. To convert baby shoes for newborns from the US to the UK, just remember that UK shoes are usually just one-half size lower than US sizes.
Don’t Miss: Are Toms Good Shoes
Average Shoe Size By Age Chart In Uk And Us Sizes
Finding out your Childrens shoe size conversion is not as difficult as it may look.In fact, it is imperative that you understand Kids Shoe Sizing when looking out for the best childrens shoe brands, best shoes for toddlers, most durable kids shoes, or podiatrist recommended shoes for toddlers.This exercise will definitely save you from so much stress and extra expenses.
If you are buying a childrens shoe that uses the European sizing system the notation system is the same for babies, children, and adults.
|Kids US Shoes SIze|
Sadie Baby Shoe Size Guide
What Sizing Are Sadie Baby Shoes?
Sadie Baby shoes are AU sizing
How Do You Choose The Right Shoe Size?
To choose the right size shoe, its best to measure foot length
How Do You Measure The Foot Length?
- Use a ruler or measuring tape to measure from heel to toe.
- Add at least 1cm to the length For example if the length is 10cm add 1cm 10cm + 1cm = 11cm AU size 2
- If possible, it is always best measure feet while your child is standing.
- Have your child stand on a blank piece of paper and mark at the toe and the heal and measure.
Don’t Miss: Where Can I Buy Zeba Shoes
Is It Okay For Children To Wear Rain Boots All The Time
Rubber boots for everyday life? No, absolutely not! Rubber boots should only be used when it is really wet outside.
They are not suitable everyday shoes, as they usually make the feet sweat. The boots should be made of natural rubber rather than PVC. This is because both the manufacturing of PVC as well as the printed motifs can contain harmful pollutants which can be absorbed by your childrens feet.
Do Babies Wear Socks With Shoes
In general, wearing socks with shoes is recommended for everyone, and that includes the little ones. Wearing socks help reduce friction between the feet and the shoes, absorbs moisture and damage to the skin from constant rubbing with shoes. However, socks should be properly fitted as very tight socks could also have harmful effects such as hampering the growth of the feet especially for babies, and restricting air and blood circulation.
Don’t Miss: Can You Wash Dude Shoes Insoles
What To Look For When Buying Kids Shoes Online
Many parents of young children are big fans of online shoe shopping. Its easy and convenient behind the computer or with your iPad at home. Even the most easygoing of toddlers can become whiny and weepy in the childrens shoe aisle. Unfortunately, the greatest thing about online shoe shopping is also the biggest downside when shopping for childrens shoes. Youre not in a department store so you cant try them on until you buy them.
In the below Shoe Size Charts for Boys and girls, well make it easy to understand your childrens shoe size and reduce the hassle of getting wrongly fitting shoes delivered to your doorstep.
Selecting The Correct Width
Some brands’ baby shoes are made from rigid materials that can be either too tight, or too loose on your little one’s feet. At BirdRock Baby, we make our genuine leather baby moccasins and organic cotton baby booties from soft, flexible materials that form to fit the skinniest and widest of feet. We’ve heard from thousands of parents who are surprised at how well our shoes fit their little one’s impressively chubby feet!
Available in sizes 1, 2.5, 4, 5.5, and 7 .
How To Measure Foot Size For The Perfect Fitting Shoe
Use our simple instructions and size charts to find which shoe size to order for a shoe that fits perfectly.
Finding a shoe that fits perfectly can be difficult, but measuring your feet to find your size is a great place to start.
Poorly fitting shoes can be a real pain. Chafing, blisters and calluses can distract you from moving freely. But finding the right fi isn’t always easy research shows that up to 72 percent of people are wearing the wrong size shoe, which is associated with foot pain and foot disorders.
If you want to avoid getting stuck on a trek with footwear that rubs or pinches, finding your accurate shoe sizing and width is key. When your shoes fit like a glove, youll barely notice youre wearing them.
Additionally, knowing your exact foot size allows you to buy shoes online with confidence. Then you can walk, run, hike and play without discomfort. Follow these instructions to measure your feet and find that perfect fitting pair of shoes.
How to Measure Your Foot Size
- For a more accurate measurement, measure your feet at the end of the day, when they are at their largest.
- Before measuring, put on the same pair of socks you plan to wear with the shoes.
- Tape a piece of paper to a hard floor, ensuring the paper doesnt slip.
- Stand with one foot on the paper and a slight bend in your knees. You can also sit in a chair, but make sure your feet are firmly planted on the ground.
How to Find Your Shoe Size
Measuring Foot Width
How To Get Help Measuring
To get the most accurate measurement of your kids’ feet, your best option is to visit a Stride Rite location near you. Our Stride Rite Fit Experts have been trained to measure children’s feet accurately, even if they squirm or lose focus.Our employees use a special measuring instrument called the Brannock Device, which guarantees the correct length and width.Babies and toddlers can’t tell you if their shoes are uncomfortable. With the help of a Stride Rite employee, you can ensure their footwear is perfectly sized.
Recommended Reading: How To Get Rid Of Mold In Shoes
The Tape Measure Method
This is a bit old school but it works like a charm. Youll need someones help to hold your childs feet still due to the squirming and fidgeting.
What You Will Need
- Position your child up against the wall with the measuring tape on the floor.
- Place your childs foot on the 1 mark and make sure its flat.
- Get someone to hold your child during this so that they dont move or wiggle.
- Note the measurement by recording from the 1 mark to the back of the heel, get out a piece of paper and convert it to centimetres and other units for reference.
- Visit your nearest store and shop for shoes by handing them over that size or select the measurements online for home delivery.
How To Measure A Toddler For Shoes
wikiHow is a wiki, similar to Wikipedia, which means that many of our articles are co-written by multiple authors. To create this article, 13 people, some anonymous, worked to edit and improve it over time. This article has been viewed 104,142 times.Learn more…
Measuring a toddler for shoes correctly is an important key to ensuring your child is wearing comfortable and safe shoes that fit. Since toddlers and children experience frequent growth spurts, measuring a toddler for shoes should be done as accurately as possible. Here are some steps to take to measure your toddler for shoes, as well as tips in choosing a shoe that is right for your child.
Also Check: Usps Flat Rate Shoebox Shipping Cost
How Often To Size Your Kids Feet
Tiny tootsies grow fast between the ages two and six, their feet can grow up to half a size every two to four months. Experts recommend that up until four years, you make a shoe change every two to three months. To ensure the size is correct, look to measure their feet every two months .
After their fourth birthday, foot growth does slow down a bit, and they may not need a shoe change that often. Experts recommend every four to six months. However, continue sizing their feet at least every three to four months.
How To Measure Your Children’s Feet At Home
We understand that buying online can make choosing the right size a challenge. We are here to help provide comprehensive information to make sure you find the right fit. We always recommend basing your size off your child’s foot length measurement, and below you can find an easy three step guide on finding that measurement.
You May Like: How To Dry Hey Dude Shoes
How To Size Baby Shoes
Choosing the correct size of baby shoes for your little one’s feet can be tricky! We’re here to help. Here is how to find the perfect shoes for your love in 5 simple steps:
1. Measure your baby’s feet with a ruler 2.Use a baby shoe size chart from the brand you’re shopping with3. Leave a little extra room for your child’s feet to grow into their new shoes4. Select the perfect size baby shoes for your little one5. Once you have the shoes, confirm they fit with the “toe test”
A pair of shoes with the right fit will make a huge difference for your little one. Not only is finding the right size more comfortable for them, but it also promotes healthy foot development and protects them as they explore their world more and more.
Signs That Your Childs Shoes Are Too Small
A bigger size is most likely needed if:
- The shoes are pressing deeply against your childs skin.
- Your child has blisters.
- There is no space in the toe box – your childs feet are squished!
- Your child complains that the shoes are tight or uncomfortable. Knees, back, hip or joint pain can also be a sign of ill-fitting shoes.
- Your child doesnt seem to want to wear the shoes anymore.
Recommended Reading: How Often Do I Need New Running Shoes
Tips On Shoe Buying For Infants And Toddlers
- Dont forget socks . Make sure you try the shoes on with the socks so you can check the shoe fits perfectly. You may need to size up if you have thicker socks for the winter, to ensure the shoe doesnt squish your kids feet.
- Always choose support over fashion. Your toddler is likely to start running, jumping, and experimenting with how to use their feet. Pointy shoes, high heels, or heavy-soled shoes wont give them the support they need, no matter how in-fashion these shoes are.
- Velcro is the best option, over laces. You can teach your child how to put their shoes on and give them independence from a young age. Tying shoelaces will come later on.
Our Australian Kids Shoe Size Conversion Chart
We have created a conversion chart that allows you to compare the approximate Aus shoe size for all the shoes we stock.
This chart is specific to OUR STORE and OUR SHOES.
Our chart below will help you work out the approximate Aus size you need based on your childs foot measurement plus growth room. We do recommend you double check the size chart on the shoe style you are purchasing as there can be slight variations between brands and styles. But using this chart gives you a great starting point!
You May Like: Can U Wash Hey Dude Shoes