Get Over The Odor Tip #: Put Em In The Freezer
It may sound cold, but anther way to banish shoe odor is to make like a cop and order your flats to freeze. Just make a little space next to your emergency ice cream and frozen pizzas for your stinky shoes, leave them in the freezer for about 24 hours and then let them dry in the sun. You may want to place them in a grocery bag first, as mixing shoes and food isnt exactly a smooth idea …
How To Get Rid Of Shoe Odor Fast
Once your shoes have become stinky, the onus is on you to restore them to their original condition. If you are worried about how you will achieve that feat, do not worry because there are some natural DIY methods of removing shoe odor that will prove to be very useful in these circumstances.
You can choose either the non-chemical method or the chemical method, both of which are fairly easy.
How To Treat And Prevent Smelly Feet
The good news is that smelly feet are usually easy to treat by keeping your feet clean and dry, and changing your shoes regularly.
To treat sweaty or smelly feet yourself, try to:
- wash your feet with an antibacterial soap once a day
- dry your feet well after they have been wet, especially between your toes
- try not to wear the same pair of shoes 2 days in a row so they have at least 24 hours to dry out
- change your socks at least once a day
- keep your toenails short and clean, and remove any hard skin with a foot file
If you often get sweaty feet, you might want to try:
- using a spray deodorant or antiperspirant on your feet a normal underarm deodorant or antiperspirant works just as well as a specialist foot product and will cost you less
- putting medicated insoles, which have a deodorising effect, in your shoes
- using a foot powder to absorb sweat
- trying socks for sweaty feet some sports socks are designed to keep feet dry, and you can get special antibacterial socks
- wearing leather or canvas shoes, as they let your feet breathe, unlike plastic ones
- always wearing socks with closed-toe shoes
Don’t Miss: Is Dhgate Legit For Shoes
Youve Gotten Rid Of The Smell Now Its Time For Upkeep
This should go without saying, but keep your feet clean. When youre in the shower, actually focus on washing them, instead of just letting them chill in the remnants of the soap that runs down your leg. Your feet have over 250,000 sweat glands on your feet, so its easy for them to get stinky real quick.
Just like brushing your teeth before bed or shutting off the lights before you leave the house, make deodorizing your shoes part of your daily routine. Leave a small bottle of baby powder or essential oil near the entryway to your home. Once you get in from a long day and kick off your shoes, give a gentle spritz of your remedy of choice and spend the evening satisfied that youll start the next day literally on a fresh foot.
Well There Is No Need To Spend Money On Buying New Shoes As There Are Many Simple And Easy Ways To Get Rid Of The Unpleasant Odor
- Look for the cause. Examine your shoes before you try to treat the odor. If you have damaged insoles, either take them out or dry them.
- Better is to exchange your old insoles for a fresh pair, everyone around you will be very happy. MISTER MINIT has a very large offer
- Dry out your shoes by putting them near a heater or in a sunny spot. By keeping them dry, you help prevent bacterial growth that causes odor.
- Freezeyour shoes. Put your smelly shoes in a plastic bag, and then put them in the freezer over the course of a night. The idea is that freezing the shoes kills the odor-producing bacteria.
- Put baking soda in the offending shoes. If the freezer trick does not work, put in a healthy dose of baking soda and let the powder absorb the odor overnight.
- Place fresh orange, grapefruit, lemon, or lime peel into the shoes. Fresh citrus peel has a great smell because of its essential oils. Leave fresh citrus peel in your shoes overnight and remove them before using. They should smell a lot better.
- Black teabags: Black teabags contain tannins which are very effective in killing bacteria that can be found inside the shoe. Place the tea bag on boiling water for a few minutes. Remove the tea bag and let it cool for about 5 minutes before placing it in the shoe. Leave it in the shoe for an hour or so.
- Odor removers, like MISTER MINITs fresh contain bacteria and/or enzymes that eat away what is causing the odor.
Recommended Reading: Dhgate Reviews Shoes
Spray Essential Oils Into Your Shoes
Essential oils are a big thing for millions around the world. If youre a fan of essential oils and their natural super powers, this essential-oils-for-stinky-shoes treatment will surely appeal to you. Be sure youre using high-quality essential oils.
- 1. Grab a small spray bottle. The 2.7-ounce size is ideal.
- 2. Fill halfway with unscented witch hazel.
- 3. Add distilled water leaving just a little space at the top of the bottle for these essential oils: 6 drops peppermint essential oil, 4 drops tea tree oil , 2 drops eucalyptus essential oil, 1 drop thyme essential oil
- 4. Screw the spray top onto the bottle.
- 5. Shake well.
- 6. Spray lightly the entire interior of the shoe. Dont forget the toe box.
- 7. Place the treated shoes in a sealable plastic bag to heighten effectiveness.
- 8. Let dry.
Each time you detect offending shoe odor, spray again. Not only will this essential concoction deodorize your shoes, but it also has the power to kill odor-causing bacteria. It might just be the best deodorizing spray youve ever tried.
Tip: How To Wash Tennis Shoes And Sneakers To Get Rid Of Foot Odor
Todays tennis shoes and sneakers often cost north of $100. To keep them looking and smelling like new, you can use your washing machine. To protect your investment, there are a few steps to follow. This method works well for fabric and leather athletic shoes.
- 1. Remove the laces and any removable insoles or inserts.
- 2. Wipe away any loose dirt and debris.
- 3. Place shoes, minus laces and inserts, in a mesh bag or pillowcase. Secure the opening so the shoes cant come out.
- 4. If you have a washing machine with an agitator, include some towels along with the shoes to balance the load. If you have a newer machine without an agitator, you probably dont need the towels.
- 5. Wash in warm water with a heavy-duty detergent.
- 6. Air dry your newly cleaned shoes. NEVER put them in the dryer.
- 7. Use a solution of water and baking soda to hand clean the insoles/inserts.
Don’t Miss: Steel Toe Boots On A Plane
Does Putting Shoes In Freezer Kill Smell
Yes, putting the boots in the freezer works great in killing the smell in the boots by killing the odor causing bacteria!
In fact, this is the fastest and the most efficient way to kill the bacteria that causes the smell because bacteria cannot survive in the extreme temperature of the freezer.
What you need to do is:
- Put your boots in a plastic bag
- Place the bag in the freezer and let it stay for the entire night
- Just hour prior of going to work, take out the boots and keep them in the sun
- Your boots will be free of the bacteria and hence the smell
Use Fabric Softener Sheets
Deodorizing shoes call for the strong stuff. Tuck a new dryer fabric softener sheet into each sneaker and leave overnight and your shoes will be smelling fresh as springtime by morning. Just remember to pull them out before wearing the sneaks.
Its also a great idea to deodorize places where you store your shoes, such as your gym bag. Drop a dryer sheet into the bottom of a gym bag and leave it there until your nose lets you know its time to renew it.
You May Like: Does Cvs Sell Lint Rollers
Cedar Bag Inserts For Hugging Your Kicks With Cotton
Promising Review: I got these to put in my work shoes from the hospital because I am on my feet a lot. I hate the smell they can have after 13 hours of use. Once I put them in my shoe, the next day they smelled like the cedar wood and the smell is gone. I really enjoy this product because I hate smelly shoes and foot powders go everywhere. These inserts work so much better for me! Unknown
Get a six-pack from Amazon for $10.99.
Home Remedies For Stinky Shoes:
- 1. Wash + exfoliate feet
- 2. Stop sweaty feet to stop stinky shoes
- 3. Foot and shoe deodorant spray
- 4. Wear shoes that breathe
- 5. Alternate your shoes give them time to air out
- 6. Use shoe insoles to fight foot odor
- 7. Sprinkle baking sode in those stinky shoes
- 8. Keep shoes fresh smelling with dryer sheets
- 9. Deodorize shoes with cat litter or wood chips ¯\__/¯
- 10. Clean shoes with rubbing alcohol
- 11. Steam clean shoes
- 12. Denture tablet shoe soak
- 13. Freeze the stink out of your shoes
- 14. Spray essential oils into your shoes
- 15. Use tea bags to keep shoes smelling fresh
- 16.If all else fails: Spring for new shoes
Where do stinky shoes come from anyway? The answer is well obvious. First comes foot sweat, then comes bacteria, then comes stinky feet, socks and shoes.
Don’t Miss: Where To Sell New Shoes
Seconds Shoe Disinfectant And Deodorizer
Tester Smell Score: 5 out of 5
- Neutralizes odor without an overpowering smell
- Helps absorb moisture from wet shoes
- Odor-fighting prowess diminishes after 3 months
These amazing little bean bags received top marks from every one of our testers. Since the beads are activated by heat, we suggest tossing them in your shoes while theyre still toasty from a run for the best results. Even at room temperature, Gear Halos pouches wicked moisture, eliminated nearly all stink, and smelled clean and fresh. This actually smells really nice! one tester said. Its a pleasant, lightly floral scent with no trace of the cheese.
Beat The Stink Tip #: Use Dryer Sheets
You probably already know the amazing way dryer sheets can erase deodorant stains from your clothes, but did you know they erase shoe odor, as well? The next time you find yourself washing laundry, grab a couple of dryer sheets and place them in your sweaty, smelly flats. Then both your clothes and shoes will smell cotton fresh!
Read Also: Is Dhgate Legit For Shoes
Place The Sachets In Your Shoes
You can place these sachets in your shoes each time you take them off. Tennis shoes, sneakers, and walking shoes used for exercising are especially prone to collecting odors. Keep the sachet in the shoes until you wear them again.
Variation: Fill the toe of a sock with baking soda and tie it off. Leave sock sachets in your shoes overnight to absorb odors. This can be part of your ongoing routine for any athletic shoes you wear regularly.
Baking Soda + Coffee Filter
Baking soda is a powerhouse at home and can be used to deodorize your shoes. All you need to do is a fill an unused coffee filter with baking soda and secure at the end with tape, staples, or a rubber band. Place the package in each shoe at the end of the day and the baking soda will go to work overnight.
You May Like: What Are The Best Dress Shoes For Wide Feet
What Can You Do
Theres usually no need to worry about stinky feet. But if the stink bothers you or someone notices it, you may want help to step in.
So how can you stop your feet from stinking? Well, you might not be able to stop stink completely. But if you cut down on sweat, you’ll cut down on the odor.
Try these steps:
If you still have problems with foot odor, talk with your mom or dad to get their opinion. If they agree think the stink is a concern, they can try getting you odor-fighting powder or insoles. If nothing seems to work, you might want to talk with your doctor about what to do. The doctor may give you a special medicine to put on your feet.
For most people, foot odor can be controlled. The worst part about having stinky feet is that it’s embarrassing. If you’re worried about this, just keep your shoes on when you’re in social situations, like when you’re at school or riding in a car.
At home, keep your feet clean and go barefoot so they get some air. If your feet are clean and dry, those bacteria will have to find their lunch somewhere else!
Foot Sense Natural Shoe Deodorizer Powder
Tester Smell Score: 3.5 out of 5
- Eliminates excess moisture
- Doesnt kill 100% of bacteria
We know, traditional powders can be messy. But Foot Sense uses an arrowroot-based, talc-free formula thats safe, effective, and smells greatso we didnt mind if some spilled outside of our shoes. Its not as powerful as some of the potent sprays weve tested, so youll likely need to reapply more frequently, but we loved this powders supreme ability to eliminate excess moisture alongside a lemony-lavender aroma.
Don’t Miss: Are Tennis Shoes Good For Walking
Wreck The Reek Tip #: Reposition Your Panty Liners
Why let your underwear have all the fun when your stinky shoes can benefit from panty liners, as well? It sounds really, really out there, but placing panty liners in the soles of your shoes while you wear them can help absorb foot sweat and therefore cut down on the stink. Its as simple as that. Period.
Fighting The Funk: 11 Ways To Treat Smelly Climbing Shoes
You did it.
You found the perfect climbing shoes. You sized down like everyone told you to. You locked your feet in their vice grip for weeks.
And finally, after all your hard work, theyve blossomed into two fine pieces of rubbery goodness that make you feel like a powerful monkey ninja.
But theres only one problem:
They stink. Bad.
To a certain extent, smelly climbing shoes are just part of the territory. You could embrace the stank as another part of that grungy climbing culture we all know and love. But that doesnt have to be your only option.
If you want to avoid stinking up your living/driving/walking space or repelling your friends/family/romantic prospects with the stench of de-feet, try the following 11 tips to fix climbing footwear funk.
Recommended Reading: What Does 4e Mean In Shoe Size
Freeze The Stink Out Of Your Shoes
Disgusting foot odor is caused by bacteria lurking in the dark recesses of your footwear. Putting them in the freezer overnight kills this bacteria. These foul-intentioned germs cant stand the cold environment. But first, youll want to protect whatever else is in the freezer by following these simple steps:
- Make sure your shoes are completely dry.
- Put them in a sealable plastic bag or wrap them tightly in plastic wrap.
- Leave them in the freezer for the night.
- Remove them in the morning
In the morning, dont be afraid to stick your nose where it normally doesnt belong. Youll be pleased to find that the shoe stench is gone.
Get Bad Smell Out Of Shoes
How do you get a bad smell out of shoes?
The more we wear our favorite pair of shoes, the more we may notice that they are beginning to smell. Overuse, sweat, skin shedding, dirt, bacteria, fungus, and lack of aeration can all contribute to stinky shoes. Below are a few ways to remove the bad smell out of the shoes:
- One of the best ways to remove smells from shoes is to revitalize them with a much more pleasant smell. Leave a fresh lemon or lime peel in your shoes overnight or squirt a few drops of any essential oil such as lavender into the soles of your shoes and allow the shoes to dry. Both remedies will help to eliminate odors.
- If your shoes are washable, give them a bath. You can get leather and fabric cleaner to clean up shoes that are not washer friendly, or if theyre machine safe, throw them into the washing machine or submerge and hand wash them in a detergent bath. Place your shoes in the sun or near a heater and allow them to dry out. This will help to prevent the bacterial growth that causes odor. Ensure they are completely dry before reassembling the shoes and wearing them again.
- Pop your smelly shoes in a large plastic sandwich bag and leave them in the freezer overnight. Take them out of the freezer the next day and allow them to dry naturally. The extremely cold temperature will kill the bacteria and make your shoes less stinky.
Recommended Reading: Where Can You Buy Vionic Shoes
Flip A Switch For Scent
Steal this old realtors trick: Turn off your lights until the bulbs are cool. Now place a couple of drops of vanilla extract on your light bulbs. When you flip the lights on, the heat will gently spread the scent and make your home smell like fresh-baked cookies. This works better with incandescent bulbs, which get hotter than CFL bulbs.