Ways To Get Free Shoes
by Saeed – Last Updated March 24, 2020
Who knew, you can now get free shoes!
As it turns out, shoe companies are willing to give you free shoes in exchange for you testing and providing feedback. Its the closest thing to free shoes giveaway by companies.
I actually wrote a post a while back about Nikes product testing program where they send you free shoes to test.
How Much Do Shoes Weigh To Ship
If youre selling a pair of shoes and shipping them across the country, its good to know how much the package will weigh. Fortunately, youre not looking at a hefty, 20-pound parcel, especially if youre merely placing the shoebox into a shipping box.
If your shoes plus shoebox weigh 3 pounds, then the larger shipping box will only add a few ounces. So, your total shipping weight probably wont be any more than 4 to 5 pounds. Although, keep in mind that this is based on average shoe weight and sizelarger footwear will be heavier.
How Long Do Vans Customs Take
Vans prints custom patterns, photos and designs onto all iconic styles, including the Old Skool, Authentic, Slip-On, Era and Sk8-Hi. In 2017, Vans unveiled a new, innovative machine that allows custom designs to be printed on to shoes in less than 15 minutes.
Vans vice-president of creative Jamie Reilly told Fast Company that the new customisation machine allows Vans devotees to express themselves, which has always been a key focus for the brand:
The checkerboard is an iconic piece of Vans branding but it originally came from kids drawing on their shoes, Reilly said. So this is just another cool way we can see what people want. The new machine fits into this as just another experiment to help us connect better with our customers and give them another platform for their own creativity and expression.”
Vans tradition for making custom shoes goes back to our beginnings in California in the 60s. As the story goes, a customer walked into the shop on the very first day and asked for shoes in a colour which wasnt then available. Paul Van Doren told her:
Bring me the fabric you want your shoes made out of and Ill make them for an extra 50 cents.”
The rest, as they say, is history.
Don’t Miss: How To Win A Raffle For Shoes
Are Vans Hard To Break
Vans recommend wearing them on and off for short but frequent periods to get them broken in. They also recommend wearing a thick pair of socks while breaking them in. If theyre the kind that has laces, dont tie them too tightly. You just want the shoe to stretch a little.
Stay close to home the first few times you wear them and take them off as soon as you feel any discomfort. Bending them by hand helps. Vans also recommend turning a hairdryer on your shoes, while also wearing the thick socks, of course. Focus on problem areas such as the backs. If rubbing is a problem, al little petroleum jelly may be what you need.
Can You Run In Van Slip Ons
You can run in Vans slip-ons. However, it isnt ideal to run in slip-on as it can cause soreness to the feet.
As Vans have flat soles, they arent the ideal shoes for running. The flatter soles cause soreness. Plus, it wont provide the same level of comfort and support that youll get from running shoes.
So, its not nice to run in Vans slip-ons. But, you can do it if you want to.
Don’t Miss: Does Vans Make Steel Toe Shoes
Features Of Running Shoes
· Cushioning Running shoes will have more cushioning than vans to absorb impact when the feet of a runner hits the ground. This feature is essential in helping to minimize injury. However, the cushioning varies from one brand of running shoes to another.
· Arch support Since running shoes are meant to absorb impacts, they often come with added arch support. This support keeps the feet of athletes in their natural position. You can find this support throughout the entire rubber sole of a running shoe.
· Comfort Running shoes tend to be more comfortable than vans since they are designed for running. They are also breathable, with most of them having the engineered breathable mesh upper.
· Lightweight- A Running shoe features lightweight materials for fast movement. The lighter the shoe, the faster a runner is able to run.
· Flexibility Running shoes are made with bendable material so that people can easily move their feet. Bending of the feet of an athlete is essential since it offers them a natural gait, and minimizes chances of injury.
· Price The price of running shoes ranges from cheap to expensive. However, running shoes are usually more expensive than vans. This is because they are meant for running. They require different materials and thus costs more money to manufacture.
Vans Turned 50 Years Old This Week To Celebrate Here’s A History Lesson On How They Started
Everyones favorite shoe brand turned 50 years old this week. To celebrate, Id like to take a minute to do what I do and talk about Vans amazing rise to what it is today: one of Americas coolest brands. Last week on The Epic Rise was John Rockefeller. This week its Vans. And if you like this type of thing, make sure to sign up for this here website so you can get posts like this in your inbox by entering your email here.
Read Also: Where To Buy Hoka Shoes In San Antonio
Are Vans Good For Running
Running and walking is the most necessary activity in the life of a person. Take it for work or any essential chore you have to walk almost daily to get things done. Walking and running is the therapy that helps you relieve your stress. But for a good walk or run, shoes are the vital part. They make your walk easy and your feet comfortable.
If that is not the case, then your feet will become discomfort, and you will not be able to walk too long miles. A good pair of shoes support your feet while walking and make them feel comfortable. Such shoes ease your other hobbies as well as walking. Especially for hiking, comfortable shoes must be a top priority for a good hike.
Vans are pretty famous for their friendliness for walking.
They have established their popularity around the world for being supportive of such activities as running, walking, hiking, and lifting. But are these really suitable for these activities? Do they support your tasks effectively? Lets find the answers to these questions.
Are vans good for running? Yes! These are highly supportive for walking because of the comfort they offer. But they are not suitable for much longer walks. You can lift weights and run in these shoes too. But never think to wear them for hiking.
How Long Do Vans Last
On average, they should last about two years with regular wear and proper maintenance. They are rather durable. However, people wear them while doing sports like skateboarding and BMX biking. Extreme sports mean extreme wear on shoes. Fortunately, the skating subculture thinks a few scuffs and tears took cool, as long as theyre the real thing.
Also Check: How To Clean Mold Off Shoes
How Vans Shoes Are Made: Vulcanized Construction
Do you want to know how Vans shoes are made? The Vans classic slip on and skate shoes are made by the vulcanized shoemaking process. The Van Doren brothers, Paul and James, started The Van Doren Rubber Company in 1966. Over the next 40 years, they opened factories in California and later contracted factories in China and Vietnam to make the classic Vans vulcanized shoes.
vulcanize: The process of heating raw rubber to cure it. This process creates crosslinks inside the rubber compound bonding it together. Before the rubber is vulcanized it is stretchable, gummy, and easy to tear. After being vulcanized the rubber is tough, stretchable, and ready to wear.
Do Vans Make A Running Shoe
Vans do make running shoes. In fact, Vans come with a variety of running shoes in their stock. As a result, youll have a lot of options to choose from.
Even though Vans running shoes arent made for all types of athletes, youll still get away with it. When running shoes are made, comfort and support are always focused.
You see, Vans shoes always promise comfort and support. However, not all types of athletes will get the best out of them. Hence, we cant recommend Vans running shoes for all kinds of athletes.
Don’t Miss: How To Get Stains Out Of Hey Dude Shoes
Pros And Cons Of Running In Vans
- Vans are very comfortable to wear, especially when you plan on exercising for long periods. They provide the same type of comfort as when in socks or barefoot.
- If you dont like the feeling of having some barrier between your feet and shoes as you run, then Vans are the perfect solution. They have a high-top design, unlike the low-top design of running shoes. The design gives you enough freedom of motion to move your feet around as you run.
- Running in Vans can be very trendy and stylish if done properly. Having a pair that goes with your outfit is always a plus.
- They are also incredibly easy to take off if you want to stop walking for a while. Vans have no tongues meaning they can easily slip off. This is unlike sneakers, where the tongue will get caught on the side of your shoe.
We surveyed to find out how many people preferred Vans to be their running shoes. These were the findings in the table below.
|No. of people interviewed.|
How To Make Your Vans More Comfortable
Podiatrists recommend that you have your shoes fully broken in before you wear them anywhere. And then, only wear them for their intended use. Slip-Ons are easy to put on, but shoes with adjustable laces are better for comfort. Inserting insoles, pads, and cushions will also help to make a shoe feel more comfortable. Long socks and Band-Aids are recommended highly for that first week or so.
Also Check: Are Steel Toe Boots Allowed On Airplanes
New Balance Wear Test Program
Youill always have to return the equipment after testing it for these guys, so this is perhaps more like free rental shoes.
They wont charge you for the shipping, though. Theyll send you a prepaid shipping label with the shoes so you can send them.
Like most companies, these people will mail more products to diligent product testers who put in their best effort.
- Apply here: New Balance Wear Test Program
How Vans Shoes Are Made: Vulcanized
In the Vans vulcanized shoemaking process, the rubber shoe outsole parts are assembled onto the lasted upper before the rubber is completely cured. With the sole attached, the entire shoe must be heated in a vulcanizing oven. The shoe must be heated to around 110C/230F for 80 minutes. The heat required to vulcanize the rubber sole will melt nylon and polyester fabrics, making them unfit for vulcanized shoes. Also, certain types of foam, like EVA and PE, will get damaged by the heat. This can limit the material choices for footwear designers. Uppers must be made of heat-resistant materials like suede, leather, and cotton canvas with metal hardware.
You May Like: How To Get Mold Off Leather Shoes
Running In Vans: Good Or Bad Idea Type Of Vans Shoes
Can you run in vans? is the question we have asked severally. Vans are a type of athletic shoe typically worn by skateboarders, not runners.
The shoes have a high top and enclose the foot. This feature makes them comfortable to wear while skating because they do not fall off your feet as normal sneakers or boots would.
Most running shoes are made with foam padding for support and comfort on longer runs. However, most vans shoes have a thin rubber sole with no padding at all. Because of this, some people question the safety and effectiveness of using them to run.
Running in Vans is a common practice among skaters. It is often recommended for runners looking for low-cost shoes with a good board feel.
At the same time, most long-distance runners dont think vans are good for running. According to them, vans shoes are good for skaters because they are light, durable, and predictable.
But The Question Is Can You Run In Vans
There is not a definite answer to this question. We have different factors to consider before deciding whether to step out in them for a weekend road trip.
The question, however, should be: Can you run in Vans?
Lets all agree. We can all run in any shoes. And it doesnt matter the kind of race you are doing. Alternatively, you could still run barefoot if you trust your feet to be tough enough.
So the simple answer to the question is a loud yes, you can run in Vans shoes.
Vans come in different types.
The market is flooded with a variety of Vans brands. And because their quality is top-notch, its always difficult to settle on the most ideal for your outdoor activity.
But for this discussion, I am going to limit the discussion to Classic Canvas shoes. While some modern styles do not conform to the standards we are discussing here, most of them are suitable for your skating and morning work-outs.
Lets dig in.
Does being resistant to skating make them suitable for running?
I have come across many athletes who believe that Vans are suitable for running just because they make good skating shoes.
But their argument is far from the truth.
While we admitted that you could use Vans for running, it doesnt necessarily mean they are the best fit for track activities. Vans arent meant purposefully for running, but for skating. So, yes, they are meant for athletes, but not for the track.
It is not cushioning!
Also Read: How Much Does It Cost To Make Vans Shoes?
Recommended Reading: How To Clean Hey Dude Shoes
Latest Vans Shoes Customer Reviews
- MaggieVans Checkerboard Skate Shoes – Mens Review :I’ve wanted these shoes since I was in the 4th grade and finally decided to buy them. I couldn’t tell you how happy they made me when they arrived. The fit was perfect and I’ve honestly been wearing them everyday since I got them. Super comfortable, fun pattern, and great quality. Definitely recommend.
- Great shoes at a great priceJenniferVans ERA Skate Shoes – Mens | Womens Review :Good quality, super fast shipping. Couldnt be happier.
- Great shoe, excellent customer serviceAndrewVans Old Skool Skate Shoes – Mens Review :Had some correspondence with Customer Service and she was great! Also super quick shipping to New York
- Vans Authentic Classic Skate Shoes – Mens | Womens Review :Excellent service as always
- DejaVans Old Skool Platform Skate Shoes – Womens Review :Fast shipping and delivery. Great deal on the price of the shoes. The Shoes fit perfectly and they are just soo nice and cool. I get a lot of compliments plus people always look shocked when I tell them how much i got them for. I will DEFINITELY, DEFINITELY be shopping with them probably from now on when i want to buy shoes.
What Is The Best Way To Clean Vans
What to do when that white, rubbery sole is starting to look a little off-white? You can use bleach or rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide or any of a number of standard household products to do the job. Cover your work surface first and work in a well-ventilated area.
You can use masking tape to cover up the canvas, though bleach stains can give them a cool distressed look. Dip a toothbrush in your desired cleaner and buff the rubber, working in circles. Rinse by wiping the rubber with a clean, damp towel. They should be as snow-white as when brand new.
If it is the canvas itself that is dirty, first brush off as much excess dirt as you can. A shoe brush or old toothbrush will help. Mi together some warm water and dish detergent. Dip in an old toothbrush and get to scrubbing.
Rinse them with warm, clean water. Stuff the shoes with newspaper, paper towels or hand towels. Lay each wet shoe on a clean towel and wrap them up. You can put them outside to air dry. White shoes can be put in the sun to be bleached. The Slip-Ons can be machine washed on a low cycle with cold water. They should be air-dried.
Also Check: Where Can I Sell My Shoes Fast
What Is Vans’ Manufacturing Process
Today, Vans makes between 70 and 85 million pairs of shoes every year, with every pair worked on or inspected by up to 450 people. Although operations are done on a vastly larger scale than they were in the early days, the signature manufacturing process has remained much the same.
Each pair of Vans shoes goes through a five-step production process:
Once the manufacturing process is complete, the shoes are ready to be boxed or can be printed onto, depending on the style.