Why Do I Have Wide Feet
Remember, theres no one size fits all. Everyone has a unique foot size and shape, which can be attributed to a specific cause or be less known like genetics and ageing. A few causes of wide feet include:
- Genetics. Some people are born with wide feet. Alternatively, people with flat feet are prone to having wide feet.
- Age. As we age, our feet change. The ligaments and tendons loosen, and our feet tend to grow longer and wider as our arch collapses.
- Foot deformities. Foot conditions like bunions, calluses, and hammertoes can affect the shape and anatomy of your foot. As a result, your foot may widen.
- Improper footwear. Shoes make a difference. In fact, studies have shown 63-72% of people dont wear footwear that fits their foot properly. This no doubt can lead to foot deformities.
- Pregnancy. During pregnancy, a hormone named relaxin causes ligaments and joints to loosen around the feet. Like in ageing, the loosing of the tendons causes your feet to widen. This is especially true during the second and third trimesters.
- Swelling. Edema, a medical term for swelling, can cause your feet to widen. This can be a long-term condition or a short-term phenomenon depending on the cause.
Why You Dont Need To Know Your Customers Shoe Size
There is a common misconception that brands need access to every data point imaginable to understand and market to their customers, but this simply isnt true. You dont need to know your customers shoe size unless youre selling shoes and if you do sell shoes, you certainly shouldnt be getting that data from unknown sources or by tracking them across the Internet.With legal and consumer changes into how technology companies collect and silo data, along with changing expectations around privacy, many brands need to check and change their data and marketing strategies to ensure they stay both on the right side of the law and what their customers expect them to do with their data. Stating youre an ethical brand conflicts when you plant cookies to see every other site they visit.
A survey conducted by Cisco examined the actions, not just attitudes, of consumers with respect to their data privacy. The survey revealed that 32% of respondents who said they care about privacy are willing to act, and have done so by switching companies or providers over data or data-sharing policies.
Aim to remove PII data you never use firstly, its the law, and when companies are suffering more targeted breaches than ever before it protects customers and your bottom line. No matter what happens with GDPR regulations in the UK in the coming years, keeping data secure should be a priority of every business.
Standard/ Medium Narrow And Wide Shoe Size Chart
The fit of a shoe is determined by the length and width of the foot. Foot widths are divided into three specific categories: narrow, regular, and comprehensive. If your feet do not match the width of the shoe, you may experience discomfort.
This shoe size chart will show how to tell if you need wide shoes. It is the standard chart used in the United States and many parts of the world. Check to what size your foot is based on this chart. Suppose your shoe size is eight and your feet are 3.9 , which means your feet are wide. If you wear the wrong shoes for a long time, you may experience some foot-related problems.
However, many people still wear shoes of the wrong size these days. The reason is that people usually only focus on the length and often ignore the width of the feet. Only measuring the width of your foot will tell you how big or small your feet are. Another thing to note is that the sizes between countries can vary. For example, size 8 in the US might be equal to size 10 in Asia.
Besides, you can refer to the shoe width charts classified by men, women, and children below to find the correct answer quickly.
You May Like: Can I Machine Wash My Hey Dude Shoes
How Baby Shoe Sizing Works
Baby shoe sizes are often grouped by age. For example, you might see shoes for ages “0-6 months” or “6-9 months.” While this can be helpful, they are meant to be a starting point in your sizing journey. No two baby’s feet are the same , and there is no universal standard for age-based sizing.
Use age guidelines to pick a size to start with, but the safest choice is to measure your child’s foot so that you know exactly what size baby shoes they need.
Do You Need Wide Shoes
If youre like most people, you probably havent given your shoe size much thought while buying shoes since your feet stopped growing as a teenager. But according to a 2018 study published in the Journal of Foot and Ankle Research, only about a third of people wear the right shoe size. How is this possible? As it turns out, the correct shoe size is just as much about width as it is about length.
While you probably havent wondered, do I have wide feet, wide feet is a very common foot condition affecting millions of people, and it leads many to wear the wrong size footwear. If you think you may have, a wide foot measurement, you might be wondering how to tell if you need wide shoes. As seasoned footwear specialists with a passion for delivering the perfect fit, the team at Vionic is well-versed in wide fit shoe options. Are you asking yourself, Do I need wide width shoes? If so, heres how to find out.
Read Also: What Store Carries Hey Dude Shoes
How To Measure Your Shoe Size
There are a handful of ways to find your foot measurement. You can get it done professionally by a podiatrist, use a Brannock device at a store or even measure from home.
When measuring your shoe size at home, youll need the following items:
- Two pieces of paper larger than your foot
- Writing utensil
Before taking your measurement, put on the socks you plan on wearing with your shoes. If youre finding a size for hiking boots, you may want thicker socks than if youre measuring for running shoes. Its also recommended to wait until the end of the day, when your foot is at its widest point.
1. Tape the paper on the floor with one end against a wall. Its important that it doesnt slip so that youre able to get the proper measurement.
2. Plant one foot on the paper with your heel against the wall.
3. Trace the outline of your foot. Its easiest to have someone help you with this step. Try not to hold the pencil at an angle, as that can cause an improper measurement.
4. Using your ruler, measure the longest and widest parts of your outline.
5. Repeat with your other foot.
Take down your measurements in both inches and centimeters. Charts may vary in the units used. When comparing your results with a shoe size chart, youll want to use the measurement of your larger foot.
Keep in mind that if youre purchasing a shoe for a child, it may be helpful to buy a larger size to allow them room to grow.
What Sock Size For Pre
If youre shopping for kids around age 10 or in the pre-teen years, its probably a good idea to just skip right to women’s socks, which have a larger selection. If theyre not a perfect fit already, theyll grow into em soon! A lot of boys in the middle school years dont quite have large enough feet for mens socks, so womens styles are a great choice.
SOCK FAIRY SECRET! OK, maybe this one isn’t a secret, but teens are messy! Whether they have tried to make sock puppets, or put their big toe right through their lucky soccer socks, we highly advise learning how to darn a sock! This simple process can save you a lot of socks and money too! By experience, we have learned it is best to learn how to organize a sock drawer young to limit the number of lonely socks waiting for their partner to come back from the dryer!
As always, if you have any questions about whether a pair youre interested in will fit the man, woman or child on your shopping list, our expert sock fairies are more than happy to help! Shoot us an email or call us at .
You May Like: Vans Work Boots Steel Toe
How To Tell Size Of Shoe Laces
- Measuring Shoelace Length by Number of Eyelets The number of eyelets on a shoe can be the easiest way to work out which Shoelace size you need for your shoe. Eyelets are a small hole on the side of a shoe, where the laces go into to tie the shoe. Eyelets are the best way to find which replacement shoelaces you need.
How Do I Use My Foot Measurements To Determine My Shoe Size
Check your size in the chart below by choosing the shoe size with a maximum recommended foot size equal to or larger than your own maximum foot size.
This is our TOKAY size chart, obviously only useful for determining your TOKAY size. As mentioned previously, shoe sizes vary between manufacturers, so dont be swayed by the size your current cleats or shoes claim to be.
Read Also: Is Dhgate Legit For Shoes
How Do I Measure The Width Of My Foot
The width of your feet is the distance between the two widest parts of your foot. This is likely a single measurement in one areaat the base of your toes, called the ball width. This is the measurement between the big toe joint and the small toe joint.
To measure the width of your foot, follow these three steps:
- Place a large piece of paper on an even surface.
- Stand on the paper and trace an outline of your foot on the paper.
- Measure the distance between the widest parts of your foot.
Do both feet. If one is wider than the otherwhich is totally normalthen account for the wider of your two feet.
How To Measure Shoe Width Yourself
If you cant visit a shoe store, you can measure your shoe width yourself. Take off your socks, and make sure you measure both feet one can be wider than the other.
1. Use a soft tape measure and wrap it around the widest part of your foot. Do not tighten it too much. Put your foot on the ground, and distribute your weight as you normally would when standing.2. Next, mark on the tape measure how many millimeters wide your foot is.3. Look up your width on the above shoe tables.
Dont have a tape measure? You can use a length of string. Just mark the string, and then use a ruler to identify its width!
Also Check: How To Clean Hey Dude Shoes
Problems And Effects Of Wearing Shoes That Are Too Big
Shoes that are too big do have their own problems, and we have explained them below
- Alteration of Natural Stride: The use of shoes that are too big for your feet will mean you have to walk in awkward, and frankly unnatural ways to compensate for the excess space in your shoes. The result? A severe alteration of the natural human stride when walking.
- Metatarsalgia: This is another really serious problem with wearing shoes that are too big. The ball of your foot will become inflamed and cause a lot of pain.
- Foot Corn: When shoes are too big, it is a natural reaction to squeeze the toes so we can at least stop the sliding of the shoe back and forth. This squeezing and bunching up of the toes causes a type of callus that occurs because of intense pressure on the toes.
- Falling/Slipping: Wearing shoes that are too large means you have little to no control over your own walking gait, and on slippery surfaces, this will almost always result in a fall. It could prove similarly disastrous to walk up the stairs wearing shoes that are too wide because a combination of the incline of the stairs and your loss of gait control will most likely lead to a fall that can be very serious.
- The decrease in Performance for Athletes: One of the most important things for an athlete is to have properly fitted shoes, as they need all the control and grip they can get. Wide shoes tend to be unnecessarily heavy and cumbersome, and this is the last thing any runner wants.
How To Tell If You Need Wide Shoes
Draw the contour of the foot with the pen that you have prepared. First of all, you put a piece of paper on the floor. You stand on the paper and pick up the pen. Try to use the stylus to contour the contour of the foot. Try to outline the most accurately. Note, the widest part of the foot is the width.
The most suitable measurement time is night. After a long day of activity, your legs tend to expand. The night is the most accurate time to measure. Remember to measure both feet as not everyone has precisely equal footing.
Compare with the size chart. Once you have a specific width measurement, compare to the size chart to determine if your feet are large or small. To ensure the best accuracy, combine width with length. Plus, everyone has different foot sizes so that you can move a little from the size chart.
You May Like: Are Vessi Shoes Good For Hiking
What Size Shoe Should Get Wide Snowboard
What should the sizing be on Snowboard boots?
- Snowboard boot sizing is very similar to street shoe sizing except its much more important to get right. Your feet should be comfortably snug within your boots without having any pinches or pokes that can cause poor circulation. Your toes should be able to wiggle slightly but not be able to move forward or backward.
Can Your Shoe Size Determine Your Ring Size
- When she tells you the shoe size, use this made up formula: shoe size divided by 2 plus 1.5 gives you your ring size. Once you do the calculation, ask her if the ring size is indeed what you calculated, and she will hopefully laugh it off and tell you how wrong that formula is because her actual ring size is X! 3.
You May Like: Cleaning Mold Off Shoes
Leave 1/2 Inch At The Front Of The Shoe
There should be about a 1/2 inch between the end of your longest toe and the end of the front of the shoe. Generally, this is about the size of the tip of your index finger or pinky finger . While for many people the big toe is the longest, other people have a longer second toe, known as Morton’s toe.
Fit Shoes To The Larger Foot
No two feet are the same. One foot is usually slightly larger than the other foot. Buy the shoe size that fits the larger foot. There are different pads and inserts that can take up room in the shoe if it is too big, but you cannot add space to a shoe that is too small.
Fitting shoes to the larger foot have a limit. If your feet are more than 1 1/2 sizes different, then get two different sized shoes.
Also Check: Hey Dude Shoes Alternative
Iso 19407 And Shoe Size Conversion
ISO/TS 19407:2015 Footwear – Sizing – Conversion of sizing systems is a technical specification from International Standards Organisation. It contains three conversion tables which feature major shoe sizing systems . Each table is based on actual foot length measurement in millimetres typical last length ranges are also included.
The standard includes conversion tables for Mondopoint using length steps of 5 mm and 7.5 mm, European Paris point system, and UK 1â3-inch system. The standard has also been adopted as Russian GOST R 57425-2017.
The standard is maintained by ISO/TC 137, which also developed ISO/TS 19408:2015 Footwear – Sizing – Vocabulary and terminology currently in development are companion standards ISO/TS 19409 “Footwear – Sizing – Measurement of last dimensions” and ISO/TS 19410 “Footwear – Sizing – Inshoe measurement”.
Why Should You Measure Your Feet
If simple curiosity cannot convince you to whip out a tape measure, consider this: having accurate foot measurements will help you buy shoes in the correct size for your feet. Since shoe sizes vary between manufacturers, your actual foot measurements are a more reliable indicator of your shoe size than the number of EU 39 shoes in your wardrobe. And buying shoes that actually fit will spare you the discomfort and potential injury of wearing shoes that do not fit.
Anywhere between 25% 75% of people wear the wrong size shoe for their feet . I will spare you the pictures available showcasing the array of conditions caused by incorrectly sizes shoes. Think hammer toes, bunions, corns, ingrown toenails, blisters, etc. But incorrectly sized shoes also increase the risk of pain and problems in your feet, ankles, legs and even your lower back. Poorly fitting shoes can also alter your gait and distort your posture leading to DISASTER .
A day dedicated to the practice, curiosity, avoiding the pain of shoes that dont fit: all good reasons to measure your feet.
Don’t Miss: Does Vans Make Steel Toe Shoes
How To Measure Your Feet
While it is absolutely possible to successfully measure your feet in your home without a Brannock Device. However if you have access to a professional shoe fitter having your feet professionally measured will give you the most accurate foot measurement. Maybe you’ll even be able to find the shoe you were looking for in a traditional brick and mortar shoe store. If they don’t carry the size and width you need, HealthyFeetStore.com will still be here waiting for your order.
Unfortunately, most people do not have access to a professional shoe fitter, so here are some tips on how to measure your feet at home with the best possible accuracy:
What You Will Need:
- A friend
Thing You Should Know Before You Measure Your Feet:
- It is best to measure your feet after a full day of walking because walking can slightly increase the size of your feet.
- It is best to measure your feet wearing the type of socks or stockings you will be wearing in the shoe you plan to purchase. Only measure your feet while barefoot if you plan to wear shoes over your bare feet.
- Remember that the difference in shoe size measurements is often as small as 1/8 of an inch, so your foot measurements will need to be equally detail-oriented to be effective. Rounding up or down will decrease the accuracy of the measurement and your likelihood of finding a good shoe fit.
- Measure both feet. Most people’s feet are slightly asymmetrical. When buying shoes use the measurements from the larger foot.