Find Your Shoe Size & Width
Make sure you are looking in the proper column, either men’s or women’s, when determining your size. The standard width for women is B. The standard width for men is D. *Note: This chart is here to give you a general idea on sizing and widths. Tennis Warehouse is not responsible for mismeasurements or ordering the wrong size. We recommend that you order the size that you normally wear in other shoes.
How To Measure The Size Of Your Feet
Shoe sizes are measured different among many countries and shoe stores. We find it important that you order the right shoe size and don’t have to return your shoes because of this. This page explains how to measure your feet and how to find the right size for you.
To calculate your shoe size in centimeters or inches:
- a. Place your longest foot on a piece of paper
- b. Do this at the end of the day
- c. Put your weight on this foot this will make your foot bigger
- d. Draw a line around your foot
- e. Measure the size between the tip of the big toe and the end of your foot
- f. Add 1 cm to the size
Now you have the right measurement of your foot and you can look up in the table below the right size for our shoes.
Are you not sure about the size? Please contact us at
How To Measure Foot Size For The Perfect Fitting Shoe
Use our simple instructions and size charts to find which shoe size to order for a shoe that fits perfectly.
Finding a shoe that fits perfectly can be difficult, but measuring your feet to find your size is a great place to start.
Poorly fitting shoes can be a real pain. Chafing, blisters and calluses can distract you from moving freely. But finding the right fi isn’t always easy research shows that up to 72 percent of people are wearing the wrong size shoe, which is associated with foot pain and foot disorders.
If you want to avoid getting stuck on a trek with footwear that rubs or pinches, finding your accurate shoe sizing and width is key. When your shoes fit like a glove, youll barely notice youre wearing them.
Additionally, knowing your exact foot size allows you to buy shoes online with confidence. Then you can walk, run, hike and play without discomfort. Follow these instructions to measure your feet and find that perfect fitting pair of shoes.
How to Measure Your Foot Size
- For a more accurate measurement, measure your feet at the end of the day, when they are at their largest.
- Before measuring, put on the same pair of socks you plan to wear with the shoes.
- Tape a piece of paper to a hard floor, ensuring the paper doesnt slip.
- Stand with one foot on the paper and a slight bend in your knees. You can also sit in a chair, but make sure your feet are firmly planted on the ground.
How to Find Your Shoe Size
Measuring Foot Width
Don’t Miss: How To Clean Hey Dude Shoes
Mens Guide To Shoe Sizing
Did you know that the average foot size for men in the US is about 10.5, and worldwide, the number is between 9 and 12?
Youre forgiven for estimating your shoe size based on height weve all done it, but theres more to nailing your shoe size.
But now that youve got your measurements, were ready to identify where you land on the chart. The below size chart of shoe will help you identify your shoe size for most casual styles of men s shoe, but here are some sizing quirks to look out for when buying:
- Boots: Calculate for a bit more room since your feet will need to breathe. Youll also likely use thicker socks with boots.
- Sandals: Usually best when you calculate ¼ of an inch extra to avoid your toes from going over the top of the shoe.
- Dress and sports shoes: The fitting can be a bit trickier, and youll need to pay attention to different things. Well cover both in this article, so dont worry.
How To Measure Your Feet At Home
Every brand is different, just like every foot. We recommend getting your feet measured regularly by a professional for both length and width. Here’s a good tool to use when you can’t make it to our store. If you have questions about the fit of a certain brand or style, contact your local Schuler Shoes.
Use the following method to determine your shoe size when ordering online.
Don’t Miss: How Much Does It Cost To Ship Shoes Usps
How To Measure Kids Feet
To measure a kids feet, proceed as you would with an adult, but take extra care to find the correct size. This means you need to pay attention to keeping the foot flat and make sure your child isnt clenching their toes or the arch:
How To Measure Your Foot
- While seated, place your foot on a piece of paper in front of you.
- With a pencil, trace around your foot. Hold the pencil as straight up-and-down as possible while measuring and be sure that your pencil remains in constant contact with your foot during this process.
- With a ruler, measure your tracing to determine your foot length and width.
Also Check: Is Dhgate Legit For Shoes
How Do You Find The Right Shoes
Shoes serve many functions. They protect our feet. They cushion our body weight. They can make our feet feel comfortable or fashionable hopefully both! Finding the proper shoes and making sure they fit are important for keeping your feet and your body happy. Poorly fitting shoes can be painful and cause foot problems like ,, , ,, and more.
Follow these tips from Foot and Ankle Orthopaedic Surgeons to find the right shoes for you:
Have your feet measured. Your foot size and shape can change over time. Don’t rely on the fact that you have always worn a certain size.
Fit your shoes to the larger foot. Most people have one foot that is larger than the other, so make sure you have BOTH feet measured.
Get measured at the end of the day when your feet are the largest. When you are up during the day, your feet will swell and settle some. You want to make sure you are comfortable throughout the day and not just when you head out of the house in the morning.
Dont rely on shoe size alone. Just like clothes, the size marked inside the shoe may be different depending on the brand. So your shoe size is a just a starting point in selecting the correct shoe.
Look at the shape of the shoe. Make sure the shoe shape resembles the shape of your foot and fits your foot comfortably.
Don’t plan on shoes stretching over time. They should fit well when you buy them.
Check the width of the shoe. The ball of your foot should fit comfortably in the widest part of the shoe.
Womens Dress Shoes And Heels Size Guide
Sizing is especially important in womens dress shoes. Youll likely be wearing them with very fine socks, tights or even without socks. This means theres less protection between your foot and the shoe, and youll develop blisters even faster if youre wearing poorly fitted footwear.
Here are some tips for fitting womens dress shoes:
Ballet flats can be tricky if theyre a size too big. Theyll easily start sliding off your feet, and youll get blisters or end up tensing up your foot muscles as a result.
You should be able to fit your pinky finger inside the shoe at the back when youre sitting. This will guarantee you enough freedom of movement when youre walking, but it wont be too much to make your foot slide out.
With flat sandals, its always better to go one size up rather than down. If you wear sandals half a size too small, your toes might hang over the top of the shoe, which isnt pretty.
Make sure the straps fit comfortably but snugly. You shouldnt have to clench your toes to keep the sandal on, but you also shouldnt be cutting circulation to your feet.
If any strap bothers you or cuts into your skin when youre trying them on, leave the pair behind. It will only feel worse after use.
Boots can and should have a little room for your toes and heel to move around to not be too tight. This goes for ankle boots, as well. Your feet need to breathe when youre wearing boots!
Do High Heels always Hurt?
You May Like: Usps Shoebox Flat Rate
If It’s Just Not Working
You’ve tried out different ways to wear the shoe and it’s just not working, so now you need a different size or model. If you’re not sure what might help, feel free to send a brief description of what is and isn’t working for you and we’ll do our best to recommend alternatives.You can find our return and exchange info here.
How Do You Measure Shoe Size
Growing up, you likely had your shoe size measured at the store using a Brannock Device. Most high-end shoe stores will also have them, given that if youre going to drop a ton of money on a pair of designer shoes, you want to make sure they fit.
Before Charles Brannock patented the device in 1928, the only way to measure your shoe size was by using a block of wood. Brannocks father worked in the shoe business, and the son wanted to carry on the family legacy by making it even better. Using an Erector set, he constructed the device, usually made of metal or plastic, with knobs at both ends to fit the heel and to adjust for width.
A mens size one is actually 7-2/3 inches, and then each size is an additional 1/3 inch. Measuring the width is also linear, though each width size is measured by 3/16 of an inch. In the American system, there are nine widths AAA, AA, A, B, C, D, E, EE, and EEE. As you can imagine, the introduction of the Brannock device greatly improved by as much as 97 percent the accuracy of measuring your shoe size.
Although it might not sound like it, measuring your shoe size with the device is relatively simple and easy to use. If you buy a pair of shoes at a high-end shoe store in the near future, youll likely see for yourself!
Read Also: What Does 4e Mean In Shoe Size
Problems And Effects Of Wearing Shoes That Are Too Big
Shoes that are too big do have their own problems, and we have explained them below
- Alteration of Natural Stride: The use of shoes that are too big for your feet will mean you have to walk in awkward, and frankly unnatural ways to compensate for the excess space in your shoes. The result? A severe alteration of the natural human stride when walking.
- Metatarsalgia: This is another really serious problem with wearing shoes that are too big. The ball of your foot will become inflamed and cause a lot of pain.
- Foot Corn: When shoes are too big, it is a natural reaction to squeeze the toes so we can at least stop the sliding of the shoe back and forth. This squeezing and bunching up of the toes causes a type of callus that occurs because of intense pressure on the toes.
- Falling/Slipping: Wearing shoes that are too large means you have little to no control over your own walking gait, and on slippery surfaces, this will almost always result in a fall. It could prove similarly disastrous to walk up the stairs wearing shoes that are too wide because a combination of the incline of the stairs and your loss of gait control will most likely lead to a fall that can be very serious.
- The decrease in Performance for Athletes: One of the most important things for an athlete is to have properly fitted shoes, as they need all the control and grip they can get. Wide shoes tend to be unnecessarily heavy and cumbersome, and this is the last thing any runner wants.
What If My Running Shoes Are Too Big
If you already have a pair of running shoes that are too big, you might want to try the following tips
- Wear thick socks with your athletic shoes. It would help add some bulk, which is bound to be useful. Be careful of doing this during summer though.
- You can use stuffings like tissue paper, cotton balls, etc to fill out the excess space. This is only useful for dress shoes in general, not athletic shoes.
- Insoles are another option. You can insert insoles to help fill up some of the space and provide cushioning and stability.
- You could also try getting the shoes to a shoe repair professional, who would know exactly what to do.
Also Check: How Much Does It Cost To Ship Shoes Usps
Running Shoe Fit Tips
|Measure your feet each year, as they can change size as you age
|The foot arch may lower over time, resulting in a longer foot, or a stronger foot may cause the arch to rise, resulting in a shorter size. Weight changes and activity level can also influence foot size.
|Women’s feet may become larger during and after pregnancy
|Weight gain during pregnancy may cause permanent lowering of the foot arch resulting in a longer foot.
|Your standard running shoe size is typically a half size larger than your casual shoe
|In general, running in shoes that are a tad too large is preferable to running in shoes that are too small.
|Fit your larger foot
|Your left foot and your right foot may differ by as much as a full size. A shoe that is too small is more likely to cause issues than one that is too big.
|Faster running means you want a snugger fit
|A tighter fit means you’ll stay better connected to the shoes when picking up the pace, so it might be worth giving up some wiggle room for a more secure fit. Many racing and performance shoes have a tighter overall fit than everyday training shoes.
|Sock thickness can affect shoe fit, so try on shoes with the socks you plan to wear
|You can change the thickness of your sock to fine-tune your fit. For example, use a thinner sock to create more space or a thicker sock to make the fit snugger.
|Different lacing techniques can also affect fit
|For more information, watch the video below.
Different Shoe Sizes In Different Countries
Knowing your shoe size conversion in inches and centimeters is very useful when traveling or ordering shoes online from foreign companies or different brands.
There are differences between US, UK and continental European sizes, so the exact measurement comes in handy.
UK vs. US
- Men: UK sizes for men tend to be about half a size smaller than US sizes.
- Women: UK sizes are approximately two numbers smaller. However, this may vary on the brand.
European sizes may vary between countriesa 39 in France may be smaller than in Sweden.
Others vs. US
Latin American and Asian shoe sizes also differ from the US standard, so your measurements will come in handy.
Japan and Mexico, for example, use centimeters. China, Brazil and Argentina use European sizing, though sometimes a size or two smaller.
In particular, if youre buying Li-Ning sneakers from China or Brazilian Havaianas flip-flops online, check out the specifics of each brand.
Many brands include the shoe size in inches or centimeters in their labels or on their websites and shoe size conversion charts. When youve measured your foot correctly, you can use this to find the right size.
Sports Shoes Differences
Sports shoes usually express the measurement in centimeters, so convert your measurements from inches to centimeters before buying.
You May Like: How To Get Shoe Raffles
Baby Shoe Size Conversion Chart
This shoe size chart will help you find the right shoe for a baby from newborn to about 9 to 12 months of age, depending on their size.
Note that the age is only an approximate measure to help you buy the right shoe if you dont have the exact measurement. If you can, always trust the measurement instead of the age. Even 6-month-old babies may vary a lot in size. When kids get bigger, their shoe size differences can grow, too.