How To Measure Shoe Size
Wearing the wrong shoe size not only can be uncomfortable, but it also can cause painful injuries, hammertoes or bunions. For men and women alike, its important to know the correct size when shopping for a new pair of shoes. Fortunately, measuring your shoe size is easy to do at home with a few simple office supplies.
What you’ll need:
- A friend to help you
Step 1: Tape a Piece of Letter-Sized Paper to the Floor
The paper will serve as a background for marking your foot’s length. Tape it down to prevent it from sliding underfoot.
Step 2: Stand Up Straight on Top of the Paper
Wearing the type of socks that you’ll wear with your shoes, place your heel at the bottom edge of the paper. It may be helpful to stand with your back against a wall to ensure that your legs and feet are straight.
Step 3: Mark the Length and Width of Your Foot on the Paper
Have a friend mark the length and width of your foot in pen or pencil on the piece of paper. You can also bend down and mark the measurements yourself while keeping your foot straight. Be sure to mark both feet as their sizes may be different.
Step 4: Measure the Length and Width of Your Foot
Step off the paper and use a ruler to measure the length and the width of your foot. For accuracy, measure the widest and longest parts of the outline that you marked on the paper.
Step 5: Find Your Shoe Size on a Sizing Chart
How To Tell If Your Shoes Are Too Big
- Check the Size: This is one of the fastest and easiest ways to ascertain whether or not your shoes are too big. Locate the number of the shoes size and compare it to your normal shoe sizes.
- Check by Using Your Index Finger: This is usually a check for finding out if shoes are too small, but it can also be easily used to find out if the shoes are too big.
Just wear the shoe, push your toes forward, such that they enter the toe box but are not pressed up against the front of your shoes. Then slide your finger into the shoe. If the space is such that two or three fingers can go in without any resistance, then the shoe is too big.
- Tie the Laces: If the shoes have laces, wear the shoes as you would do normally and lace them up. If you have to continue tightening the laces to get the shoes to fit, then the shoe is too big and wide.
- Walk Around in the Shoe: Wear the shoes and walk around, making sure to notice how your feet feel in the shoe. If your feet slide a lot and feel loose around the sides, or youre having to curl your toes to stop the shoes slipping, then the shoes are too big.
- Press the Toe Box: Sit down with your feet in the shoes and press the toe box. If the shoe fits properly, you should be able to feel your big toe, and also feel a little space between your toes and the shoe. If you can press the toe box down till its no longer a toe box but a footbed, then the shoe is not for you.
Final Words On Measuring Shoes Size & Width
Buy shoes based on the bigger measurement that you get from your both feet calculation, which helps you to get the right size of shoes for your feet unless the measurement of shoe width differs a lot. Wrong measurement can lead to foot problems.
We believe this blog helps you to measure shoe width prior you look into shoe width measurement chart. In case of any further query on how to measure shoe width properly, please write to us. Hope you have enjoyed, thanks!
Also Check: Does D Mean Wide
How To Measure The Size Of Your Feet
Shoe sizes are measured different among many countries and shoe stores. We find it important that you order the right shoe size and don’t have to return your shoes because of this. This page explains how to measure your feet and how to find the right size for you.
To calculate your shoe size in centimeters or inches:
- a. Place your longest foot on a piece of paper
- b. Do this at the end of the day
- c. Put your weight on this foot this will make your foot bigger
- d. Draw a line around your foot
- e. Measure the size between the tip of the big toe and the end of your foot
- f. Add 1 cm to the size
Now you have the right measurement of your foot and you can look up in the table below the right size for our shoes.
Are you not sure about the size? Please contact us at
How To Measure Your Shoe Size At Home
Knowing your correct shoe size is important especially if youre shopping for shoes online. Incorrect shoe size can take a toll on your health.
If you wear a shoe that’s too tight, your feet will hurt and you may develop blisters, bunions, and calluses.
If you wear shoes that are too big, you are at risk of experiencing balance issues and serious foot problems. Big shoes can cause constant rubbing and friction on your feet, leading to blisters, and can interfere with your natural stride.
Thankfully, you can measure your shoe size without the need to see a podiatrist or visit a local shoe store.
Check out these steps to measure your shoe size at home:
Before you start, here are the things you need:
- One or two sheets of paper
- Socks you intend to use for the shoe
Don’t Miss: Do Tieks Ever Go On Sale
How To Use The Shoe Size Converter
If you are unable to calculate the shoe sizes with this formula, you can always refer to the conversion charts and calculators available online. For using the convertors online, youll have to follow the below given procedure:
Here is the basic or standard size chart for men, women and children:
Use the chart in following way. Suppose you want to know your correct size in UK and you know your shoe size in US and its 7 pick the row of US 7 and check its equivalent in UK, youll get your correct size.
Men Shoe Size Chart
Childrens Shoe Sizes Chart
How To Measure Shoe Width Yourself
If you cant visit a shoe store, you can measure your shoe width yourself. Take off your socks, and make sure you measure both feet one can be wider than the other.
1. Use a soft tape measure and wrap it around the widest part of your foot. Do not tighten it too much. Put your foot on the ground, and distribute your weight as you normally would when standing.2. Next, mark on the tape measure how many millimeters wide your foot is.3. Look up your width on the above shoe tables.
Dont have a tape measure? You can use a length of string. Just mark the string, and then use a ruler to identify its width!
Recommended Reading: Usps Flat Rate Shoe Box
Running Shoe Fit Tips
|Measure your feet each year, as they can change size as you age
|The foot arch may lower over time, resulting in a longer foot, or a stronger foot may cause the arch to rise, resulting in a shorter size. Weight changes and activity level can also influence foot size.
|Women’s feet may become larger during and after pregnancy
|Weight gain during pregnancy may cause permanent lowering of the foot arch resulting in a longer foot.
|Your standard running shoe size is typically a half size larger than your casual shoe
|In general, running in shoes that are a tad too large is preferable to running in shoes that are too small.
|Fit your larger foot
|Your left foot and your right foot may differ by as much as a full size. A shoe that is too small is more likely to cause issues than one that is too big.
|Faster running means you want a snugger fit
|A tighter fit means you’ll stay better connected to the shoes when picking up the pace, so it might be worth giving up some wiggle room for a more secure fit. Many racing and performance shoes have a tighter overall fit than everyday training shoes.
|Sock thickness can affect shoe fit, so try on shoes with the socks you plan to wear
|You can change the thickness of your sock to fine-tune your fit. For example, use a thinner sock to create more space or a thicker sock to make the fit snugger.
|Different lacing techniques can also affect fit
|For more information, watch the video below.
So What Exactly Is A Good Fit
Toes should have enough wiggle room in closed shoes. For high heeled pumps, the toes should be lying flat next to each other and not squashed uncomfortably together.
Dress shoes for men should have at least a half an inch between the longest toe and the leather of the shoe. A simple finger test can tell you if you need to go up or down a size.
For both mens and womens shoes, stick a finger in between the heel of your foot and the heel of your shoe, if your finger slides in with a bit of space to spare, you should probably go down a half size. If it doesnt fit that well, go up a half a size to a full size.
The ball of your foot should fit comfortably in the widest part of the shoe, most womens shoes are not designed to be very wide at this point, so pay close attention to how this area feels when youre test-walking your shoes in store.
Read Also: When Do Raffles Open For Shoes
Calculation Of Shoe Sizes In Inches According To Iso/ts 19: 2015
The foot length in inches is first converted into centimetres and then into the shoe size of other respective size systems according to ISO formulas, i.e., theEU-, UK-, US- or Mondopoint-System.The following shoe size tables for foot length in inches are also based on this ISO specification. The ISO has defined the conversion of shoe size systems and thus issued this international pre-standard. However, there are often deviations from the theoretically calculated shoe sizes in inches. Therefore, shoes often turn out smaller or larger simply because of deviating standardisation or depending on the manufacturer.
Shoe Size Chart To Convert Foot Length To Inches For Children
In the conversion formulae for children, the toe clearance is calculated slightly differently from that of adults. For children, instead of an allowance of two shoe sizes, an allowance of eight percent of the foot length in inches is used. Also, in both the UK and US systems, children’s sizes are numbered differently from adult sizes. In the UK and US, 13 children’s sizes are followed by adult sizes starting with 0 or 1. Based on the ISO specification, the following shoe size chart is recommended for all children’s shoe sizes.
|Foot length in inches to shoe size chart for children according to ISO specification ISO/TS 19407:2015
Some fields are not filled in this ISO size table for converting foot lengths in inches to shoe sizes. This is because the official ISO formula is yet to determine the exact value in the other respective size units at the corresponding position. However, the Shoe Size Converter for foot length in inches also determines the corresponding rounded sizes for the fields that are still open. Both the calculation and the rounding are then explained in detail in the calculator result at the “info” buttons.
Read Also: Design My Own Shoes From Scratch
Shoe Size Chart To Convert Foot Length To Inches For Adults
Based on the ISO technical specification, the following shoe size table is given for different foot lengths in inches. According to the conversion from inches to centimetres , the foot lengths are also given in centimetres. Each foot length in inches is thus assigned the appropriate shoe sizes of the individual shoe size systems.
|Foot length in inches to adult shoe size chart according to ISO specification ISO/TS 19407:2015
More Tips To Get The Right Sizing For Shoes
- Fit your shoes to the larger foot. Most people have one foot that’s larger than the other. It’s best to measure both your feet to get the right fit.
- Measure your foot later in the afternoon, when your feet are the largest. As you go about the course of your day, your feet will swell and grow to half a size later in the day.
- Don’t rely on the shoe size alone. Sizing for shoes may be slightly different between brands. It’s best to try on the shoe before you make a purchase.
- The shoe should be deep enough to fit your toes. If you have wider feet, opt for shoes that have deep, square toe boxes.
- When fitting a pair of new shoes, walk around in them to see if they are comfortable. There shouldn’t be any rubbing, chafing, or discomfort.
Wrapping It Up
Knowing how to measure your shoe size is the key to finding a pair of nice-fitting and comfortable shoes. Trace and measure your foot for shoe size several times to get close-to-accurate sizing. Its best to try on the shoes first to ensure a perfect fit.
Read Also: Where Can You Buy Tieks Shoes
How To Find Your Shoe Size
wikiHow is a wiki, similar to Wikipedia, which means that many of our articles are co-written by multiple authors. To create this article, 34 people, some anonymous, worked to edit and improve it over time.There are 7 references cited in this article, which can be found at the bottom of the page. This article has been viewed 2,272,129 times.Learn more…
At one time or another we’ve all tried to wear shoes that were too small or too big for us. It’s no fun, and you risk potential injury. Knowing your exact shoe size is essential to buying shoes. Finding your shoe size before you shop saves you time in the store and helps you avoid buying a pair that doesn’t fit having to return them. Just follow the steps below to find out your shoe size!
Basic Information On Converting Shoe Sizes To Inches
All ISO conversion formulas refer to foot length. In the case of non-ISO size specifications, the length of the last in inches or the interior length of the shoe in inches is sometimes also chosen as the reference for calculating shoe sizes. On the other hand, for international standardisation, the foot length in centimetres or inches is the means of choice.
Normally, the foot length is used in the ISO formula to calculate the respective shoe size. If you want to determine the foot length based on shoe size, the corresponding ISO formula is converted so that the result of the formula is the foot length , instead of the shoe size. This conversion formula is explained in detail in the examples below.
You May Like: What Is Eeee Width
How To Measure Your Feet
Its obviously best to have your feet professionally measured, but when shopping online, youll most often be presented with a confusing conversion chart.
Heres the simplest method of measuring your feet at home.
Using these measurements, youll be able to determine what your US, UK or European sizing will be in the chart below:
What If My Running Shoes Are Too Big
If you already have a pair of running shoes that are too big, you might want to try the following tips
- Wear thick socks with your athletic shoes. It would help add some bulk, which is bound to be useful. Be careful of doing this during summer though.
- You can use stuffings like tissue paper, cotton balls, etc to fill out the excess space. This is only useful for dress shoes in general, not athletic shoes.
- Insoles are another option. You can insert insoles to help fill up some of the space and provide cushioning and stability.
- You could also try getting the shoes to a shoe repair professional, who would know exactly what to do.
Don’t Miss: Comfortable Women’s Dress Shoes For Wide Feet